advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article suggests very strongly that the people involved knew exactly what they were doing - I'm not sure that engaging with them is what's needed.

Though for me it also raises questions about whether there needs to be a bigger push to engage insular communities with covid prevention - I suspect this is an extreme example of what is playing out in other communities.

There is. Certainly a fairly concentrated effort around here (Greater Manc) to engage our substantial Asian/Muslim community, some of whom seem skeptical despite obviously being statistically at far higher risk.

142477912_251711963001349_2494914048931806845_n.jpg
Spot on Tony and with the added bonus of being an unusually interesting comment on tw*tter. They’re going to get away with it though.

And as for Rita what's-her-face bribing a restaurant to break restrictions so that she can do her needy instagram photo/party thing. 'An error of judgement, really sorry'.
I took the-p**s so slap me a massive fine.

I watched the Indie Sage report today as I have been interested for a couple of weeks now as to why the React and ONS data paints a different picture to the https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ data.

https://www.independentsage.org/weekly-briefing-29th-january-2021/

The .gov.uk data is pretty self consistent with cases continuing to drop at 10k a week (linear gradient for 3 weeks now) and the following indicators, hospital admissions, deaths following the normal timeline pattern. With the number of tests being at a level that the majority of positive cases are being detected (unlike earlier in January when positive test were around 10 to 15% of actual tests (so the actual case numbers were likely to be much higher), we are down to around 4% of tests being positive). Of course there are further complications with 2 out of 3 cases being asymptomatic, but as long as that remains consistent and people go and can get tests easily and do so, then comparison back in time should have some validity.

From what I have read, the ONS data is based on a much smaller sample size across a week of the same people and so there is consistency in the data. And the normal case data etc is based on a much bigger sample size of people who have gone for a test for various reasons. So comparing the data is difficult as they are different with different uncertainties and biases.

In the Indie Sage report they compared some REACT and ONS data with .gov.uk data and said that they do show different things. They proposed that this could be due to an aspect of the more detailed data where the REACT and ONS data showed the new strain levelling out, the old strain decreasing and a significant number of indeterminate strain increasing (basically people who have Covid in their body for longer and are picked up by the test as a positive). It will be interesting to see further analysis of this.

I watched the Indie Sage report today as I have been interested for a couple of weeks now as to why the React and ONS data paints a different picture to the https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ data.

I don't follow the detail of cases but I can say two things. Firstly the reported numbers dip at the weekends and increase throughout the following week in a cyclic fashion and the pattern is consistent week to week. More importantly, we know that people don't get tested if they can't afford the consequences so the React survey, for example, picks up a more complete cross section, but probably misses the regional peaks due to undersampling, and is also quite a long way behind.

ps like the Aston microphone that Alice Roberts has

Curves in this weeks ONS survey not looking very down-pointy...

No, and not 30 k cases today either - but it was 40k last week. Nevertherless, the average trend is still downwards. Having said that, the hospitalisations seem to be levelling for the past few days but its so hard to infer anything with the fortnight delay.

I wonder why it’s so slow to come down, whether the transmission is work or shops or social life or what. They must have a view on this from T&T.

Anyway they may have to sit it out till spring when hopefully there’ll be a positive seasonal effect. But it’s not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back