advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testing for effectiveness is the easy part. It is the combination of new vaccine with old vaccines and previous infections that gets complicated.

i am reading in one or two places that flu might be a bigger problem this coming winter, as there have been few prevalent strains for us to predict what vaccine needs to be made.

If mask wearing and basic hygiene becomes more normalised flu will become less of an issue as it has a far lower transmission rate. One of the YouTube channels I follow (EEVBlog, an Australian electronics channel) showed some stats that demonstrated virtually no flu at all in Aus last year.

I hope that a new strain vaccine won't be just rubber stamped through "its like the old one"
You need to test for reactions with various previous vaccines, previous infections and against a variety of variants.
The last thing you need is some serious allergic reaction or autoimmune response

Who told you it was 'rubber stamped through'? I've taken several new drugs through MHRA approval and they system they used for the vaccines used a process that has been available for years and has the same checks and balances as any other assessment. The major differences were that data were assessed as they became available rather than waiting until the entire package was available for assessment (which would have saved months) and that interim approvals for certain aspects were probably given on limited data with a review of extra data as they came in.

The robustness of the assessment would have been no different to any other drug - as is required by law. The "it's like the old one" you refer to is "biological equivalence" which is used - for instance - for generic versions of existing drugs, has very specific rquirements and is no easy ride either.

The rate of increase in cases in GM seems to have slowed in the past week

0_Covid-rates-20621.jpg

10 633 cases and 5 deaths today. Admissions of 202, 185 and 178 (19th)

Last edited:
I hope that a new strain vaccine won't be just rubber stamped through "its like the old one"
You need to test for reactions with various previous vaccines, previous infections and against a variety of variants.
The last thing you need is some serious allergic reaction or autoimmune response
They’ve already tested it, this is merely A tweak rather than a new drug. This has been talked about for months. Takes about 6 weeks.

If mask wearing and basic hygiene becomes more normalised flu will become less of an issue as it has a far lower transmission rate. One of the YouTube channels I follow (EEVBlog, an Australian electronics channel) showed some stats that demonstrated virtually no flu at all in Aus last year.

Someone mentioned on R4 this morning that if flu cases are reduced drastically then it becomes even more dangerous when we do catch it, as we lose immunity over time if we don't keep catching it.

Someone mentioned on R4 this morning that if flu cases are reduced drastically then it becomes even more dangerous when we do catch it, as we lose immunity over time if we don't keep catching it.
I think I've had actual, proper flu twice in my lifetime, probably some 15-20 years apart, so that seems less likely to be a critical factor, to me.

Yes flu for me twice, aged 19 and then 35. In bed for about three/four days both times. I much prefer the annual jab rather than go through that again.

Got beat up pretty badly with flu in my 30’s & 40’s.
No way am I wanting that again.
Vaccination every year without fail now.
Jeez, this CV really is just constantly giving as said above.

Anecdotal I know but my son’s mate has contracted Covid following a stag do in Edinburgh at the weekend, my son and his mates were sharing a hostel so they are all self isolating.

My daughter’s partner is a fireman and one of his colleagues’ son tested positive (21 apparently) yesterday so the guy was sent home to self isolate and they had to deep clean the fire station.

Then the Scotland footballer, Billy Gilmore, has tested positive following the match with England last Friday and now two England players have tested positive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back