advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia is suffering from a macho culture that has made the Bondi Beach brigade think that they were invulnerable and didn't need vaccine.
Delta has now proved them wrong

Sounds like it might have been incorrect (but possibly not too far from the truth). Who was retweeting - none other than Christina Pagel. The PICU Doctor who made the original (?) post no longer seems to have an account.

Prof. Christina Pagel Retweeted

Paediatric Critical Care Society
@PICSociety

We can confirm that tonight our UK paediatric intensive care units CAN continue to care for our sickest and most vulnerable children and families. We are busy. We have beds. We have brilliant, hard working teams. Thank you to all of them.

Also, Israel is possibly seeing evidence for waning of the Pfizer vaccine

Prof. Christina Pagel Retweeted

נדב איל Nadav Eyal
@Nadav_Eyal

·
11h
For breakthrough infections is waning immunity with time. Its not a study but an internal document. Yet most Israeli officials dealing with the growing outbreak here are convinced that waning immunity of the vaccinated is at least part of the reason for what we are seeing.

The US is hoping to begin vaccinating under-12s shortly, after the Pfizer and Moderna trials are complete

“They’re not promising me any specific date, but my expectation, talking to the scientists,” Biden said at the town hall, “is that sometimes, maybe in the beginning of the school year, at the end of August, beginning of September, October, you’ll get a final approval” for vaccinating kids.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/21/us-covid-vaccines-children-under-12-biden

The papers are full of empty shelf pictures today due to the 'pingdemic'. The problem isn't pings but the huge number of cases and now the chickens are roosting - let's get the cart and the horse in the correct order...

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-recruit-2000-staff-due-to-pingdemic-absences

I would have thought that many of the people isolating lose out financially if they don’t work after they’re pinged. And it’s easy to not be pinged - you just delete the app.

I would have thought that many of the people isolating lose out financially if they don’t work after they’re pinged. And it’s easy to not be pinged - you just delete the app.

The Government's 'stratgey' is completely reliant on test and trace for containment.

The Government's 'stratgey' is completely reliant on test and trace for containment.

My thinking was that there’s a sense of civic responsibility amongst those who isolate due to being pinged. It is voluntary, and it is easily avoidable, yet they allow themselves to be pinged, and when they are they do what the government is wanting them to do - despite possibly being penalised financially.

This is a reflection of something interesting in the mindset of the British, and something which is slightly surprising. Either they are very biddable, or they are motivated by civic values.

My feeling is the former. Brits do what they’re told - the school system is effective.

My feeling is the former. Brits do what they’re told - the school system is effective.

Most people care about their own health and that of their familes. Do you think they'd give up their cars for the climate - I very much doubt it. We'll be told by Johnson and Co that we'll just have to live with global warming next...

The connection between having the app and isolating when pinged on the one hand, and your health and the health of your family on the other, is quite an abstruse one I think. Yes, if people isolate when pinged the peak will be lower (but longer?) But in no direct way are you helping your own or your family’s health if you submit to the pingocracy. I think it’s not plausible to attribute their compliance to self interest or family values.

I like the idea of Boris saying that we all must learn to live with global warming. You should go and work for him!

There is obviously a void of information into which personal opinion, no doubt fuelled by social media and even a Government Minister, has filled.

It's really simple - download the App, check into places with it and comply with its instructions including isolating if necessary.

A public education campaign using tv and radio is probably necessary at this point in the infection cycle.

The papers are full of empty shelf pictures today due to the 'pingdemic'. The problem isn't pings but the huge number of cases and now the chickens are roosting - let's get the cart and the horse in the correct order...

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-recruit-2000-staff-due-to-pingdemic-absences
Or we could say, What’s wrong with the cart. A system that requires so many uninfected people to isolate is not working. I’ve read proposals for a system that leans more heavily on lateral flow tests. That’s now a difficult sell because iSage’s scare story one week was that they don’t work, are Chinese made etc. Another own goal. The choice will now be between a system that doesn’t work or no system at all, partly because the group that’s monopolised the critical viewpoint won’t want to row back on its earlier bullshit.

It's really simple - download the App, check into places with it and comply with its instructions including isolating if necessary.

If you want the UK workforce to be totally reamed out for the next month, yes.

Of course, the media publishing pictures of empty shelves means it's March 2020 all over again.

It's all a bunch of a**e.

If you want the UK workforce to be totally reamed out for the next month, yes.

Of course, the media publishing pictures of empty shelves means it's March 2020 all over again.

It's all a bunch of a**e.
Indeed. I suppose it’s already too late to start panic buying…

Or we could say, What’s wrong with the cart. A system that requires so many uninfected people to isolate is not working. I’ve read proposals for a system that leans more heavily on lateral flow tests. That’s now a difficult sell because iSage’s scare story one week was that they don’t work, are Chinese made etc. Another own goal. The choice will now be between a system that doesn’t work or no system at all, partly because the group that’s monopolised the critical viewpoint won’t want to row back on its earlier bullshit.

As you know, soon after a contact LFT will have insufficient sensitivity and there isn't the capacity to offer pcr tests to everyone who doesn't then show symptoms. Positivity is already over 10% indicating a shortage of testing - I think that's why case numbers are saturating. As you know too, once you are positive by LFT you are already highly infectious. More than a third of contacts go on to be positive themselves at the moment - that is why isolation is so critical.

Never mind bog rolls I called in at my local coop last night for a couple of bottles of lager.
In a ten foot run of 6 feet high beer fridges they had about 12 bottles and they had no bottled water at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back