advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because China has figured out that spending serious money on effective early control is far cheaper than locking down the economy later

Pity the can't figure out that having a proper investigation into exactly where and how the virus originated will massively help in developing vaccines/treatments and preventing it happening yet again!

Time to put the thread back on the top page. The Mayor of Liverpool has lost his brother to covid.

Horrible news. Really sad to hear. Joe Anderson seems a decent guy and this will turn an already impossible job into a total nightmare.

PS I’m actually surprised as to how few high profile politicians and their families have been noticeably impacted by covid so far. I was expecting it to have reduced the size of the HoL a fair bit by now and I’m surprised no one in the Commons has died yet. We’ve certainly lost many people in the arts. It’s an awkward thing to try and phrase and I’ll likely get my words wrong here, but seeing clearly out of condition & obese people like Johnson and Trump recovering arguably makes it harder to get the clear health messaging across. There has to be a degree of “if that useless old fat bastard can survive it I’ll be fine...” thinking occurring out there without maybe grasping these oligarch elites have access to an entirely different tier of healthcare to the rest of us, or the significance of transmission to those less able.

Horrible news. Really sad to hear. Joe Anderson seems a decent guy and this will turn an already impossible job into a total nightmare.

PS I’m actually surprised as to how few high profile politicians and their families have been noticeably impacted by covid so far. I was expecting it to have reduced the size of the HoL a fair bit by now and I’m surprised no one in the Commons has died yet. We’ve certainly lost many people in the arts. It’s an awkward thing to try and phrase and I’ll likely get my words wrong here, but seeing clearly out of condition & obese people like Johnson and Trump recovering arguably makes it harder to get the clear health messaging across. There has to be a degree of “if that useless old fat bastard can survive it I’ll be fine...” thinking occurring without maybe grasping these oligarch elites have access to an entirely different tier of healthcare to the rest of us, or the significance of transmission to those less able.

Yes I understand what you mean - footballers too, on the non-obese end of the scale. It can only be a matter of time...

I don't expect any playing footballers to succumb, but maybe career ending long-covid
Some of the managers are another story healthwise

PS I’m actually surprised as to how few high profile politicians and their families have been noticeably impacted by covid so far. I was expecting it to have reduced the size of the HoL a fair bit by now and I’m surprised no one in the Commons has died yet. We’ve certainly lost many people in the arts. It’s an awkward thing to try and phrase and I’ll likely get my words wrong here, but seeing clearly out of condition & obese people like Johnson and Trump recovering arguably makes it harder to get the clear health messaging across. There has to be a degree of “if that useless old fat bastard can survive it I’ll be fine...” thinking occurring out there without maybe grasping these oligarch elites have access to an entirely different tier of healthcare to the rest of us, or the significance of transmission to those less able.

I'm not sure if we have got the full story yet: certainly not about Trump. AFAIK there is no 'entirely different tier of healthcare' that guarantees Covid recovery. Was BoJo just lucky ? Did Trump get special drug treatments that are not available generally ?

I'm not sure if we have got the full story yet: certainly not about Trump. AFAIK there is no 'entirely different tier of healthcare' that guarantees Covid recovery. Was BoJo just lucky ? Did Trump get special drug treatments that are not available generally ?

Trump never had the virus!

Seems Sadiq Khan is suggesting cases in London are being recorded as lower than other parts of the country as less testing is being done there... thought as much!

I'm sure that's true, at least partly. It's accepted that testing has been focussed on the hotspots...

One of my kids is in London and had a test earlier this week. He didn’t have to wait and got the result yesterday.

Seems Sadiq Khan is suggesting cases in London are being recorded as lower than other parts of the country as less testing is being done there... thought as much!

But the key measure has to be not the number of positive results but the proportion of positive results to the number of tests.

If you want to argue that you realy need to give us the figures...

I don't want to argue (for or against what?), and I don't have the figures for anything, I'm making a logical point. I'm a philosopher, I don't need figures to make a logical point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back