advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think a two week national lockdown in a couple of weeks will achieve exactly?

I don't think it'll be two weeks now as that ship has sailed. What is going to happen is that the recorded cases, hospitalisations and deaths will continue to rise and will spread across the whole country until they are so high that a national lockdown has to happen in order to get the numbers back down to a level where any test and trace system can keep on top of them. Currently our t&t system is below par (I'm being polite there), but even if it weren't it would not be able to deal with 50K recorded cases a day and that is why a full lockdown will have to happen for as long as it takes to drive the cases down to a reasonable level. We have done this once and the government and a proportion of the population ****ed it up. This time we will need a better test and trace system, more buy into the methodology (meaning a better 'sales pitch' to Joe Public), proper financial support for those affected and enforcement of the rules (i.e. empowering the police properly) for those too ****ing selfish to follow them.

What do you think a two week national lockdown in a couple of weeks will achieve exactly?
Precisely nothing if the tories spaff any advantages up the wall, as they did after the last one.
Wonder what half witted slogans we can look forward to...
Hard of thinking? You should be drinking!

I don’t understand test and trace any more, I don’t understand what it can be expected to achieve.

Can someone tell me, is it true that we’re doing more tests now than any other European country? And if so, why aren’t we doing better than any other European country?

I don’t understand test and trace any more, I don’t understand what it can be expected to achieve.

Can someone tell me, is it true that we’re doing more tests now than any other European country? And if so, why aren’t we doing better than any other European country?

Because they're doing the tests but not the trace part of it. It has be be turned around quickly (within 24 hours) to be worthwhile, the contacts need to isolate before they go off infecting more people. It needs proper support to those told to isolate (full pay and protection from dismissal ideally), possibly help with shopping, chilcare etc. This country is in a mess and it's really been shown up by this crisis...

It doesn't matter how many tests we do if we're not then tracing the people who were in contact with those who tested positive. Testing is basically reactive, it records what has happened, we need to prevent it happening in the first place. The theory is we test people and those returning a positive test have all the people they've been in contact with over the possible time they have been infectious contacted and told to isolate. If this is done efficiently i.e. test results returned as quickly as possible, people contacted as quickly as possible and those told to isolate actually then isolating (being given the requisite support to do so) then we will drive down the infections/R rate etc. It's not rocket science and has happened successfully in other countries, but then they don't have ****wit governments like ours.

Edit: posted same time as Gav :D

Because they're doing the tests but not the trace part of it. It has be be turned around quickly (within 24 hours) to be worthwhile, the contacts need to isolate before they go off infecting more people. It needs proper support to those told to isolate (full pay and protection from dismissal ideally), possibly help with shopping, chilcare etc. This country is in a mess and it's really been shown up by this crisis...

So are you clear that these other things, trace and support, are happening elsewhere in Europe?

(I agree with your general point obviously, I’m just trying to make more sense of what’s going on, dig a bit deeper. There’s also the issue of whether it’s too late for Trace to be effective.)

That's why we're going to need another lockdown sadly!

Just in time for Christmas.

uk-daily-mirror-northern-ireland.png

So are you clear that these other things, trace and support, are happening elsewhere in Europe?

(I agree with your general point obviously, I’m just trying to make more sense of what’s going on, dig a bit deeper. There’s also the issue of whether it’s too late for Test and Trace to be effective.)

I think everywhere is becoming overwhelmed by numbers because they all thought (mistakenly) that they were putting the economy ahead of the virus. Germany is still ahead of the game. Here's an opinion piece in Bloomberg from last month...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...ance-and-the-u-k-fail-the-test-and-trace-test

https://www.manchester.gov.uk/blog/leadersblog/post/908/covid-16 -what-matters-is-what-works

So Burnham is now suggesting something like Herd Immunity while protecting the vulnerable, and he says this

Greater Manchester have estimated the cost of a shielding programme at around £14m a month, less than a fifth of the estimated cost of business closures. Sadly, government, having forced through badly thought regulations, seem unwilling to think again.

If he has a viable shielding programme then that would be a major step forward. No details on the web that I can see, fingers crossed that it's not half baked, a rabbit pulled out of the hat at the last minute.

Hard to know, as the Government has continually lied about it. Everytime Hancock opens his mouth, untruths flow.

They've included

Double testing
Antibody testing
Research testing
Tests posted out but not analysed
Tests that fail for some reason
Driving tests*

This may help.

Stephen

*satire, but only just ...

Hard to know, as the Government has continually lied about it. Everytime Hancock opens his mouth, untruths flow.

They've included

Double testing
Antibody testing
Research testing
Tests posted out but not analysed
Tests that fail for some reason
Driving tests*

This may help.

Stephen

*satire, but only just ...
You forgot previously used tests mailed out.

I notice this from the Welsh lockdown Q and A today

Drakeford says lockdown will end before its benefits become apparent - because it will take longer than two weeks for its full impact to take effect.

Such vagueness! Astonishing.

Exactly the same as in the US. Test results taking 5+ days to come back so effectively useless. Workers scared to self quarantine in case they lose their jobs. Wave of evictions coming up just in time for winter. But, the stock market is up !

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back