Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Discussion in 'off topic' started by russel, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Yep. All them ballet dancers retraining in cyber. We need cyber people more than ballet dancers. Obvs.

2. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

[​IMG]

3. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Fortunately, there will always be work for friends of Government ministers, even, indeed especially, those with no proven ability to do the job they're paid to do.

tqineil likes this.
  4. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I’d quite like to read Gordon Brown’s article today in The Observer but I’m too mean to buy a Sunday paper.

5. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

stephen bennett and mandryka like this.
  6. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

7. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

8. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 pfm Member

Thankyou very much for your kind comments, guys.

The death of a colleague at work (from Covid-19) has meant I need to redouble my efforts to make my workplace safer.

Yesterday, I had to explain to a Route Controller that I departed late because the Steering Wheel was badly worn and needed lots of cleaning to bring up to an acceptable standard.

I followed it up this morning by saying that a Covid-19 Secure Workplace is of greater importance than rushing a bus out on time...

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

It would appear to have been a public (press) briefing, from what the report says. There’s certainly no suggestion the news was restricted to public sector, the letter seems to be a summary of the briefing, circulated to members of an association. Utterly unlike the somewhat excitable account you gave upthread.

Seanm and droodzilla like this.
  10. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Hancock spotted in bar after 10pm by 'whisteblower'. Cold drinks involved. Rules - they are for little people, has Dom been in?

Monitor Gold 10 likes this.
  11. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 pfm Member

Interesting. Where did you read this?

12. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

BBC News channel just now. Apparently he has avoided questions so far. So unlike him.

Monitor Gold 10 likes this.
  13. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Of course, it’s all of us and future generations who pay! I hate waste and inefficiency but all govts seem particularly good at it. I’d love to know what on earth civil service procurement depts do all day. Govts come and go, they are supposed to be the constant. They should be able to source pretty much anything at best possible terms available in the market. Yet time and time again, the exact opposite is the case.

14. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Not at all. Councils and other public bodies have been given warning to prepare, yet the private sector and businesses who fund them have not. Well, if they are decimated, there simply won’t be any money. Just watching on local news, it’s all kicked off.

15. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Don’t worry, the poor will pay, as they did for the financial crash. All you have to do is keep voting Tory.

droodzilla likes this.
  16. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

A truly astonishing amount of COVID-19 data nicely summarized visually —

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-global-data/

I haven’t taken a deep dive to see if anything in particular is suspect in the article, so the usual caveats in place.

Joe

PhilofCas, Nick_G and droodzilla like this.
  17. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Fascinating reading, and it just shows how the virus has impacted us this year. One statement right at the end is really quite disturbing:
    That's insane.

18. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Whatever he does when it comes to voting it probably won't be avoidable, unless something unexpected happens.

19. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

This is absolutely what people need to get their head around. We are going to have to learn to live with the virus and our society will change because of it. I am all for shoring up the economy while we work out how to live with it (if only our 'progressive' government had yet realised this is what we need to do), but as you rightly say some jobs are never going to be viable again, in the medium term at least. People need to accept that as hard as it may be.

20. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Yes it is and it's disturbing and it probably goes quite deep into the zeitgeist -- just like there are people who believe in flat earth and QAnon. I'm not sure what to say about it myself yet, it's as if the concepts of truth, scientific method have been relegated, demoted.