advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your help, it’s distance I’m interested in, can I meet others at 2mtr distance or what distance? 1mtr+? (Btw, I’m not thinking you know all the answers, just hoping someone will confirm)

In the pub, you should be either sat at your table, or wearing a mask en route somewhere specific such as the toilet or the exit. Don’t sit at a table with anyone you don’t live with.

That’s the basic idea from the pub whose rules I’m most familiar with.

Do you have any particular complications beyond that in mind?

In the pub, you should be either sat at your table, or wearing a mask en route somewhere specific such as the toilet or the exit. Don’t sit at a table with anyone you don’t live with.

That’s the basic idea from the pub whose rules I’m most familiar with.

Do you have any particular complications beyond that in mind?

Thanks Dave, not really any other complications, I’ve been going out with my mates under those restrictions last couple of weeks, but it’s now saying:

Gov website:
Meeting family and friends
You must not meet socially with friends and family indoors in any setting unless you live with them or have formed a support bubble with them. This includes private homes, and any other indoor venues such as pubs and restaurants.

Visiting other venues, including shops, restaurants, pubs and places of worship
Venues following COVID-secure guidance can host more people in total, but no one must mix indoors with anyone who they do not live with (or have formed a support bubble with) unless exemptions apply.

I think, unless you and your mates live together, as a household, or are in a support bubble, you’ll now have to meet outdoors at the pub. That’s how I read it for a similar situation with me and a few friends. And you can’t meet up with, or mix with, another group. Rule of six.

I think, unless you and your mates live together, as a household, or are in a support bubble, you’ll now have to meet outdoors at the pub. That’s how I read it for a similar situation with me and a few friends. And you can’t meet up with, or mix with, another group. Rule of six.

We all live separately Steve and go to watch the rugby, so indoors only, so basically everyone is in the same boat (and others who go too, not just our group), then no one can go out? That’s how it comes across to me.

Well watching the COVID reporting on Channel 4 just now I couldn't help but think of this famous poem

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Regions are rebelling against impositions from central government, Wales is closing its borders with England, and no one, not politicians, not scientists, no one, has a clue about what to do here.

Well watching the COVID reporting on Channel 4 just now I couldn't help but think of this famous poem

Regions are rebelling against impositions from central government, Wales is closing its borders with England, and no one, not politicians, not scientists, no one, has a clue about what to do here.
This isn’t quite true. Lots of people agree about what we need to do: we need to fix test and trace. It’s just that we can’t, because of decisions made by the government to bypass local authorities and public health institutions. Which, again, lots of people warned them about. There’s no knowledge deficit here, which is partly what makes it so hellish. We know what’s happening, we know what’s going to happen, and we know what has to be done to stop it. But they can’t or won’t do it.

This isn’t quite true. Lots of people agree about what we need to do: we need to fix test and trace. It’s just that we can’t, because of decisions made by the government to bypass local authorities and public health institutions. Which, again, lots of people warned them about. There’s no knowledge deficit here, which is partly what makes it so hellish. We know what’s happening, we know what’s going to happen, and we know what has to be done to stop it. But they can’t or won’t do it.
Can't argue with that .

What?
What to do to stop the virus is well known, plenty of worldwide examples of how its done succesfully.
The problem is the tory government and money - they've prioritised filling themselves and their mates pockets over lives.
It's as simple as that.
What to do?
Reclaim test and trace from an accountancy firm. Try something outrageous, a real wild card, like giving responsibility for test and trace to people with a fvc£ing clue (maybe use expertise from, say, Korea or New Zealand), and lock down properly with no pubs, no universities, no schools, no incoming or returning visitors to the UK without manditory and monitored quarantine.
That'd fly.
Of course no fvcking chance because no money in it for tories, their friends, their families and their donors.
So we're fvcked.

Last edited:
My next door neighbour is a junior doctor on the front line and she says they've already learned a lot about managing the illness during the first wave, even though there is no new treatment or vaccine yet.

Though there are plenty of new, treatment regimes.

Steroids may not have a patent available, so are not classed as a NEW treatment, yet they have proven efficacy, at certain times of the illness.

Many seem focused on a vaccine as the miracle cure yet how successful is the flu vaccine which we have had since the 1940's ?

> 20,000 deaths from the flu in the winter of 1999/2000.

Many seem focused on a vaccine as the miracle cure yet how successful is the flu vaccine which we have had since the 1940's ?

> 20,000 deaths from the flu in the winter of 1999/2000.

A bit naive that I think. You can only measure the effectiveness of the Flu vaccine in the context of those who actually had it. Low take up is a different issue.

I don't expect a Covid Vaccine to be a perfect solution. because it is obvious that the virus has hugely varying effects on diferent people but it would hopefully contribute to a reduction in cases and deaths.

A bit naive that I think. You can only measure the effectiveness of the Flu vaccine in the context of those who actually had it. Low take up is a different issue.

February 26, 2020 10:01 am Chris Crawford -- According to a Feb. 21 CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses.

I never mentioned the the take up rate, that is an entirely different measure.
45% effectiveness of whatever the take up rate is, is still only a 45% effective rate.

We all live separately Steve and go to watch the rugby, so indoors only, so basically everyone is in the same boat (and others who go too, not just our group), then no one can go out? That’s how it comes across to me.

Yeah, basically it sounds like watching the rugby whilst sat together is officially off, unfortunately.

At the pub I’m thinking of (ie the one my GF works at), staff have been told to ask groups of people to confirm that they live together before they can be seated.

Obviously people can lie, and there’s not much that bar staff who are on minimum wage and already anxious about their job as it is can/can be expected to do if people do lie. But in the absence of enforcement legislation and policing, we’ll all just have to hope that people are generally honest about it.

Sky are suggesting Manchester and Lancashire are about to go into ‘Tier 3’. They are also running a story on “million pound management consultants” in various areas of the government’s privatised covid 19 response.

Japan still doing well though with only 1,600 deaths (yes hundreds) and no enforced lock down.

Double our population, far higher population density and one of the worlds highest elderly demographic.

Lack of PPE and sod all test and trace.

Obesity levels are an interesting comparison though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back