advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, I just know Liverpool far better than anywhere else. I lived right in the heart of the city for a while (Victoria St near the art gallery, museum, St Georges Hall etc) and used to be kept awake Thurs, Fri and Sat by pissed-up scallies kicking the shit out of each other, beating up their girlfriends, attacking ambulance staff etc. Some humans are just shit. Not all ‘chavs’ either, some clearly in business suits so had been out from work..

And other shocking evidence that they're not following social distancing advice.
The_Scousers_LFC.jpg

I know, I know, the 90s wants its humour back...

For @matthewr who asked a couple of days ago about government spending on private sector contractors during the crisis:

https://blog.tussell.com/covid#value-of-contracts

The total so far is around £11 billion. That includes paying for testing kits, PPE etc. as well as £7K per day consultants to design Excel spreadsheets. ;)

It's a lot of money and greater transparency is needed both about what it's been spent on, and how effective that spending has been.

Somebody should alert the Taxpayers Alliance.

Leader of Leeds Council was complaining a few weeks ago about the timing of gov announcements causing weekend blow outs as they have a habit of trailing them on the Thursday to be coming into force the following Monday. The Concert Sq area where the scouse idiots were is Dodge city at the best of times and should be avoided.

This alternative view is growing amongst scientists & doctors all over the world.
I have no idea if it is correct, but given the blind thrashing about we continue to see from governments almost everywhere, I think we should remain open and take this into serious account.

"We have all the facts" at about 06'30" was a huge red flag to me. Do you believe anyone has all the facts?

I find it fascinating that the wellness industry has got sucked right into the pandemic/qanon/5g conspiracies.

I was talking to a hippy woman at work a month or two ago. I've know her for quite a few years and she's quite intelligent and does quite a lot of research into her beliefs. She started talking about how Hillary Clinton, Obama, Bill Gates etc were all part of a big child trafficking ring, and I just bit my tongue.

They've kept it pretty mild in that video but if you research plandemic and qanon, the line of thought is IMO illogical and dangerous.

Aside from the blatant references to those conspiracies, how can they deny the risks? One guy compares it to a bad flu season. A bad flu season in the US is 50,000 deaths. There have been over four times that so far despite lockdowns and social distancing measures, and it's now heading into winter and things are starting to look even worse.

For @matthewr who asked a couple of days ago about government spending on private sector contractors during the crisis:

https://blog.tussell.com/covid#value-of-contracts

The total so far is around £11 billion. That includes paying for testing kits, PPE etc. as well as £7K per day consultants to design Excel spreadsheets. ;)

It's a lot of money and greater transparency is needed both about what it's been spent on, and how effective that spending has been.

Somebody should alert the Taxpayers Alliance.

Although that's not as bad as I feared -- at least the vast majority of the money has gone on testing kits and PPE and not consultants.

^^ that Costello Guardian article is spot on. The will be a State of Emergency in the UK soon...
Starmer induces Johnson into a performance in the Commons today. Johnson painted himself into a corner by accusing Starmer of seeking measures he himself will inevitably have to invoke if his failure to control the growth in Covid continues.

Elements of the Tory Party appear to be making their own public health policy on the hoof without reference to Johnson- open everything up! -or maybe they’re being useful idiots for Boris?

Can someone please explain tier 2 (high) rules for going to the pub....

Gov website:
Meeting family and friends
You must not meet socially with friends and family indoors in any setting unless you live with them or have formed a support bubble with them. This includes private homes, and any other indoor venues such as pubs and restaurants.

Visiting other venues, including shops, restaurants, pubs and places of worship
Venues following COVID-secure guidance can host more people in total, but no one must mix indoors with anyone who they do not live with (or have formed a support bubble with) unless exemptions apply.

So I can’t go out (para one), then I can in para two, but what does ‘no one must mix’ mean?

Lockdown started in the UK on March 23. On that day there were 967 cases reported

A week later, on March 30 there were 2 665 cases

And a week after that, two weeks after the start of lockdown, there were 4 143 cases

In fact cases did not start to come down until mid May, and it was a long long time after that that the got back to the pre lockdown levels.

I just note these facts, which I've just taken from the dashboard (and I could have made a mistake, I'm very careless about numbers!) I leave you to draw your own conclusions or make your own comments about the consequences of a "circuit breaker." The reproduction rate is not the same now as it was in March, I expect that makes a difference to expected outcomes for R and for cases, but I've not looked at the maths.

However I am not clear how we would know whether the circuit breaker had been successful or not.

I wonder if this is just obvious to everyone else, and I'm going mad -- I mean I've seen no discussion in these terms from Starmer and his followers, and they're promoting the idea, or indeed from anyone else.

Although that's not as bad as I feared -- at least the vast majority of the money has gone on testing kits and PPE and not consultants.
I didn't dig deep so I don't know the exact split but I think you're right. In any case, chucking hundreds of millions of pounds at the private sector to design and operate Test & Trace is scandalous enough given the lack of delivery. No need to exaggerate the figures.

Can someone please explain tier 2 (high) rules for going to the pub....

Gov website:
Meeting family and friends
You must not meet socially with friends and family indoors in any setting unless you live with them or have formed a support bubble with them. This includes private homes, and any other indoor venues such as pubs and restaurants.

Visiting other venues, including shops, restaurants, pubs and places of worship
Venues following COVID-secure guidance can host more people in total, but no one must mix indoors with anyone who they do not live with (or have formed a support bubble with) unless exemptions apply.

So I can’t go out (para one), then I can in para two, but what does ‘no one must mix’ mean?
You can go out with people you live with or on your own, when you’re out you can’t mix with other groups, mingle was the word last week. I realised on Sunday that I’d broken the law the night before talking to a bloke on another table.

You can go out with people you live with or on your own, when you’re out you can’t mix with other groups, mingle was the word last week. I realised on Sunday that I’d broken the law the night before talking to a bloke on another table.

I’m struggling with the wording of ‘can’t mix with others’, it’s this part that’s not clear, what’s classed as mixing?

You can’t join another group of 6 ( or less I suppose).

Thank you for your help, it’s distance I’m interested in, can I meet others at 2mtr distance or what distance? 1mtr+? (Btw, I’m not thinking you know all the answers, just hoping someone will confirm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back