advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

This

But six weeks after the pilot began, it was paused last week and on Tuesday the government admitted it would now be smaller in scale and focused on “high-risk environments and groups”.

may be part of the key for a shielding the elderly and vulnerable while letting the young and fit carry on their lives as normal - i.e. only those with a recent positive test would come into close long duration contact with a member of the protected group.

The leader of the Oxford team was on Today, today.

He said that even if an effective vaccine was found—and finding one that would 'solve' Covid is unlikely—the first people to have it would be key workers (of course).

Maybe, next Summer if we are lucky.

Only a proper track and trace system, with rapid testing, community spread testing of antibodies and a proper support package for the vulnerable and those isolating (full pay, job security) will get us though this.

Chances of that happening? Nil to almost nil.

Stephen

Just been watching a bit of Sky News over breakfast showing the scenes in Liverpool last night and listening to the doctors saying that people don't care about the disease and others dying and it occurred to me that we have spent a lot of time arguing in here as to whether the irresponsible behaviour we keep seeing is the fault of the government, the individuals concerned or whoever. The thing is it doesn't really matter at the end of the day as this behaviour is happening and will fuel the spread of the virus. The problem is realistically I don't think we will be able to stop it as many people just think it's not worth the sacrifice. It's actually human nature in many ways as take smoking as an example, it kills you, we have known that for decades yet people still do it. This is the same, the genie is out of the bottle and the future is living with it one way or another.

Just been watching a bit of Sky News over breakfast showing the scenes in Liverpool last night and listening to the doctors saying that people don't care about the disease and others dying and it occurred to me that we have spent a lot of time arguing in here as to whether the irresponsible behaviour we keep seeing is the fault of the government, the individuals concerned or whoever. The thing is it doesn't really matter at the end of the day as this behaviour is happening and will fuel the spread of the virus. The problem is realistically I don't think we will be able to stop it as many people just think it's not worth the sacrifice. It's actually human nature in many ways as take smoking as an example, it kills you, we have known that for decades yet people still do it. This is the same, the genie is out of the bottle and the future is living with it one way or another.

That's what I meant yesterday about Starmer being able to get traction - I've not seen the papers yet but I can just imagine. The longer it's left the worse it will be - I think if there's a 'short lockdown' now it would end up being for 6 weeks or 2 months before cases start to stabilise. Perhaps the idea of a more normal christmas might help some people to get through.

This alternative view is growing amongst scientists & doctors all over the world.
I have no idea if it is correct, but given the blind thrashing about we continue to see from governments almost everywhere, I think we should remain open and take this into serious account.

The problem is realistically I don't think we will be able to stop it .

There is a way -- a more authoritarian rule of law. Soldiers on the streets enforcing a night time curfew to stop households mixing.

(It made me think of Warden Hodges in Dad's Army, I think the ARP wardens were there to patrol the streets making sure that people had their blackout curtains closed.)

This alternative view is growing amongst scientists & doctors all over the world.
I have no idea if it is correct, but given the blind thrashing about we continue to see from governments almost everywhere, I think we should remain open and take this into serious account.
This is just hot air.

Boris has said in Parliament the army is on stand by if needed. Would not surprise me to see them on the streets.

Boris has said in Parliament the army is on stand by if needed. Would not surprise me to see them on the streets.

If I understand things correctly, under the new system it would be for the local authorities to request extra support to enact and enforce a curfew when they are in Stage 3, if they deem it necessary. Westminster would be seen as acceding to local requests. The Local Authority has the duty and responsibility to trigger these draconian measures.

Interesting, thanks. Shame any potential debate will quickly get stifled by the experts on this thread! I guess that's the nature of social media - the loudest and most indefatigable voices win out

Hugely disappointing behaviour in Liverpool, utterly idiotic. It is a wonderful city, but for all the art and culture there has always been a large and thick as pigshit ‘scally’ population.

On thing I've learned over time is that everything works fine until people get involved.

SAGE scientists have estimated the number of lives that would be saved by a short lockdown in a number of scenarios. Interestingly, they compare the effect of school closures vs keeping them open and the difference isn't small, it's only half the number with schools open. This places another serious question mark over Van-Tam's answer on Monday re schools' safety.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...0873b50cfadd08#block-5f86aa168f0873b50cfadd08

This is interesting too - a new analysis of excess deaths per capita. As we know the UK has fared very badly but what I hadn't realised, and this may be important to argue with the selfish b*stards,

"Among all the countries studied, the under-65s fared worst in England and Wales where deaths rose 26% for men and 22% for women."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nd-wales-among-highest-per-capita-death-tolls

Pathetic behaviour from Liverpool party goers, hugely embarrassed to be associated with these idiots tbh.

As for clinical trials, Adverse events always cause pauses to the trials... then they're resumed after full investigation. The Astra Zeneca one was resumed towards the end of September in the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back