advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is following the best available scientific advice and trying not to kill your parents and grandparents. It’s not an unreasonable position IMHO. The Conservatives are doing neither and will end up with both a mountain of bodybags and a failed economy. Given the choice I’d prefer just the latter, though there is a strong argument that a very strong and rigidly enforced lockdown is actually the least economically damaging (look to South Korea, NZ etc).

But SK and NZ did their lockdowns with effective track/trace/isolate. And widespread random community testing before lifting restrictions.

But SK and NZ did their lockdowns with effective track/trace/isolate. And widespread random community testing before lifting restrictions.

I’m not in any way excusing the Tory track & trace being little more that a hollow shell to divert £bns of tax revenue into dodgy party donors pockets with little if any functional product being delivered. A credible t&t system is clearly part of any true scientific solution, but sadly this country is infected with a corrupt and useless government as well as a deadly pandemic. We are where we are.

If that a no? If so, you see straight away way just « following SAGE advice » would be dangerous.

You'd need another committee to advise cabinet because cabinet is scientifically 'illiterate' (bar one, who's a chemist) - so too are economists. The issue is they've already decided what they're doing and ignoring the group that's been set up to advise them - at vast expense too.

Funny you should post this Frank, I was just saying to someone today that we were right back in the early eighties.
We've some way to go in terms of 4.5% unemployment now compared to 12.5% at its peak in 1984/5 we did still have North Sea oil and family silver back then though.....

Edited

Run away cases numbers, hospitalisations and deaths will destroy the economy. I think they need to find 50bn for a 5-6 month lockdown over the winter. They can release 'war bonds' repayable at a few percent over the next 50 - 60 years. That's the advantange of having your own currency and central bank.

Good evening Gavin,
From a Mental Health point of view, I really hope there isn't a Six Month Lockdown. The reason is different from some. I'll enclose a link to something I may have written:

http://saferoxfordstreet.blogspot.com/2020/07/stopkillingbusdrivers-whos-listening-to.html

I drive Buses in London. For a period of about four months, London Buses operated a Weekend Service.

Makes sense, right? Not as many people to move; no need for so many buses on the road.

Many of us worked duties of around 10-10.5 hour duties per day for stretches of up to Seven Days in a row. Those who chose to work Overtime would work more.

Safety Critical Workers carrying people to the shops, hospitals, etc.

It was bloody knackering. Oh, and for a while, we had NO protection and PPE. On top of that, because a number of Routes do not have a Facility to Rest or Eat Meals, a cold*, draughty bus was provided instead.

No Café; Restaurant; Takeaway; Public Convenience.

Nothing.

*Not allowed to have Engines running on Bus Stops and Stands.

There has to be another way.

These are my personal opinions, of course.

Good evening Gavin,
From a Mental Health point of view, I really hope there isn't a Six Month Lockdown. The reason is different from some. I'll enclose a link to something I may have written:

It's not going to be an easy winter that's for sure, especially now the genie is out of the bottle. I've not been out of my own house at all for anything since I took the kids to the panto on 27th December 2019.

Is this going to be a repeating pattern of surge, 'circuit break', surge, 'circuit break' etc, over this Winter as outlined in one of the many papers released back in March / April? How long before people get genuinely fed up of it all?

It's not going to be an easy winter that's for sure, especially now the genie is out of the bottle. I've not been out of my own house at all for anything since I took the kids to the panto on 27th December 2019.

Bloody hell Gav, feel for you mate, keep yer chin up.

How long before people get genuinely fed up of it all?

I think everyone is already. The problem with the incompetence, dithering and trough-feeding of the government is people are feeling all of the pain with no discernible gain. As time goes on the Trumpian anti-science right, much of which is at the heart of the Tory Party, will feel even more enabled and empowered as “lockdown doesn’t work”. The reality is half-assed and incoherent lockdown, corrupt strategy-free governance and broken track & trace doesn’t work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back