advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest PHE summary is now out - this is the updated list of the areas of concern

"The following local authorities have been included in the watchlist following the weekly Local Action Committee meeting: Blackburn with Darwen, Leicester, Oldham, Bradford, Hyndburn (Lancashire), Rochdale, Pendle (Lancashire), Trafford, Calderdale, Kirklees, Manchester, Bolton, Burnley (Lancashire), Tameside, Stockport, Bury, Wigan, Rossendale, Oadby and Wigston (Leicestershire), Luton, Eden (Cumbria), Sandwell, Northampton (Northamptonshire), Peterborough, Rotherham, Wakefield. This is based on a range of indicators and an assessment of local response and plans."

The current case map is on page 7 - it's reliant on the pillar 2 data. That is quite some growth from, was it, just Leicester and South Wales 3 weeks ago...

https://assets.publishing.service.g...OVID19_Surveillance_Report_week_31_FINAL1.pdf

Dear Mr President,

I have developed a new Coronavirus test that is very special. I can guarantee it will never produce a positive result. If you use my test, China flu will disappear, and you will be president forever. I take Bitcoin, Gold and nubile waifs.

yours ...

Oh I'd like to like that post Caledon for the fact that you've exposed it on here. But I can't because it is such a wretched tweet. Good grief.

Are you all listening children?

Hands
Face
Space
Test

ad nauseum...

Ee-RG4-Qo-Wk-AEot-ZK.jpg

(credit to OP)

It only seems like a couple of short weeks ago. Yet we really know, according to one Tory MP it’s them brown people and the Muslims who are to blame for the virus taking off again-

byk3n1f.jpg

It only seems like a couple of short weeks ago. Yet we really know, according to one Tory MP it’s them brown people and the Muslims who are to blame for the virus taking off again

Decided to do my daily cycle ride late today and whilst I was riding very fast past a few pubs whilst holding my breath and noticing fairly full beer gardens etc it occurred to me that there might be a bit of ‘racial profiling’ going on in Cummings’ twisted little brain. I live in one of the Greater Manchester areas most impacted. Like most re-entering lockdown it has a high Asian/Muslim population that is very badly impacted due to high-density multi-generational living and the wage-earners tending to be in high-risk public-facing roles... and who never, ever drinks in pubs?! Hmmm...

The nightmare to my mind is funerals. Those need locking right down again. The idea of 30 odd people congregating a few days after an elderly relative has died from c19 (i.e. is clearly in the immediate vicinity) beggars belief. Just insanity.

PS For a Friday night it didn’t look too mental at all, I suspect a lot of people are bright enough to stay at home, though every idiot with an old BMW with blacked-out windows, spoilers and lowered suspension was out doing 85 in a 30 zone as usual.

So we seem to be at the absolute limit of how far we can re-open the economy and life in general without the virus still spreading.... or may be just beyond it .... and then there is the schools in a few weeks time... and winter....we're ****ed basically!

Unless there is a vaccine or effective treatment very soon I suspect we really are in a no-win scenario. There is no trajectory that doesn’t either allow the virus to kill huge numbers more people, or we destroy lives due to unemployment, poverty, negative equity, economic collapse etc. That’s before we even start to think of the nightmare so many vulnerable people will be experiencing being locked down in abusive environments, just how much education children in such positions are missing, how far behind their peers they’ll end up etc. I consider this government less use to mankind than shit on a stick, but in fairness the job they have to do is all but impossible.

Unless there is a vaccine or effective treatment very soon I suspect we really are in a no-win scenario. There is no trajectory that doesn’t either allow the virus to kill huge numbers more people, or we destroy lives due to unemployment, poverty, negative equity, economic collapse etc. That’s before we even start to think of the nightmare so many vulnerable people will be experiencing being locked down in abusive environments, just how much education children in such positions are missing, how far behind their peers they’ll end up etc. I consider this government less use to mankind than shit on a stick, but in fairness the job they have to do is all but impossible.

We should not excuse this Govt: a proper lockdown in March combined with testing at the border (or insisting on a recent negative test in country of departure) would have made a massive difference.
And the small matter of discharging Covid positive elderly patients from hospital straight back to their Old Peoples Homes is, IMO, murder.
There are at least 20 vaccines in advanced trials right now.
It is expected that at least 2 of them will be effective.
We should know by November.
Hold on.

Agreed, the late lockdown was inexcusable. If I was bright enough to lockdown fully mid-February then the government has no excuse. Then the handling of care homes and all the bare-faced lies were just disgusting/actually murderous. I’m just looking at the situation now. I don’t see a viable soft-exit aside from a vaccine or truly effective treatment. Without that we are in a mess. A mess exacerbated by a poor initial response and woefully incoherent messaging for sure, but still a mess and likely a no-win scenario.

I consider this government less use to mankind than shit on a stick, but in fairness the job they have to do is all but impossible.

While I agree it's a very difficult situation most other countries of a similar size and economic comparison have done very much better than the UK so it's not impossible although the situation is massively complex to deal with I agree. The government here has been utterly woeful on nearly every front and are still playing politics with the virus as they have done since the start. People accuse Blair of presiding over the worst political decision in the last half century (Iraq), but the Johnson's government are worse in my book as Blair was initially misguided whereas Johnson's mob are wilfully going against science and the evidence in front of them and have been doing so from the outset. Their dithering and mixed messaging means we now have a population where according to ONS data over 50% of people are not adhering to social distancing. This is, in part, because they don't know what they should be doing and what they should not be doing and , in part, because they are selfish twats who know nothing will be done to make them adhere to the rules, both of which are a direct result of government policy. It's an object lesson in how not to handle a pandemic and my only faint glimmer of hope is that somehow a public inquiry will hold them to account, but I suspect it will be a costly 'going through the motions' exercise with the usual blurred conclusion culminating in the phrase "lessons will be learned", a phrase that boils my piss every time I hear it because it actually means "those who ****ed up are getting away with it"! The really sad thing is that a series of bad decisions taken over only a few weeks are going to massively impact several generations for decades to come. When it was suggested back in late February that we should close our borders the derisory comments about the cost of doing so now seem laughable to most whereas back then they only did so to a few of us who could see quite clearly what was coming based on the limited data from Wuhan and then better data from Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back