advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starmer has Johnson exposed within his first two PMQ questions and the Speaker had to warn to Johnson to withdraw an accusation of lying within two minutes of him getting to his feet. Test and trace is hopelessly compromised by the failed vote Leave App. yet Johnson called it world beating.

Starmer has Johnson exposed within his first two PMQ questions and the Speaker had to warn to Johnson to withdraw an accusation of lying within two minutes of him getting to his feet. Test and trace is hopelessly compromised by the failed vote Leave App. yet Johnson called it world beating.

As I said the damage is done I fear.

There was an interesting viewpoint, by Stephen Bush (political editor of the New Statesman) in Fridays i newspaper(19th June). He points out, that the overemphasis on the prospects of a vaccine is taking attention away from developments in palliative treatments that may make the disease less acute. He points out that the development of new vaccines is beset with false dawns and blind alleys, whereas other treatments have been successful, for example with HIV-AIDS, which is no longer a death sentence. A promising avenue, is being led from the University of Oxford, he says, where they are trialling existing medicines for their effectiveness. However, as Stephen points out, the return to some kind of normality, will depend, to a large extent, on the level of risk that each of us is willing to take. A measure of this could be the statistics for excess deaths in the UK. What level would be acceptable to us; 20%, 15%, Zero? I, for one, wouldn't be happy to put this decision in Boris Johnson's lap, but one thing is for sure and that is that we'll all have to make this decision for ourselves in the long run. It's a difficult one; I got an email from the Roundhouse, with a questionnaire asking about what would make me go back to attending concerts there. In my case, because I only go to 2 or three gigs per year, I can probably go without for a while. What about going to a restaurant or a drink at the pub? It was pointed out by one of my Daughters, that having realised how much less they spend by having a drink at home, compared to going to the pub, that their future habits might change in any case. We takes risks every day, driving in our car, crossing the road etc, without thinking much about it, but now, with COVID, this should probably be at the forefront of our minds.

That is true. If the disease reveals itself to be a scourge for the young as well as the old, and there is a generalised nation wide occurrence of exponential reinfection, then it may be that a widespread enforced severe lockdown is the only way of controlling it. There’s a lot of ifs there though, let’s deal with the scientific facts.
That’d be a first for you.

There was an interesting viewpoint, by Stephen Bush (political editor of the New Statesman) in Fridays i newspaper(19th June). He points out, that the overemphasis on the prospects of a vaccine is taking attention away from developments in palliative treatments that may make the disease less acute. He points out that the development of new vaccines is beset with false dawns and blind alleys, whereas other treatments have been successful, for example with HIV-AIDS, which is no longer a death sentence. A promising avenue, is being led from the University of Oxford, he says, where they are trialling existing medicines for their effectiveness. However, as Stephen points out, the return to some kind of normality, we depend, to a large extent, on the level of risk that each of us is willing to take. A measure of this could be the statistics for excess deaths in the UK. What level would be acceptable to us; 20%, 15%, Zero? I, for one, wouldn't be happy to put this decision in Boris Johnson's lap, but one thing is for sure and that is that we'll all have to make this decision for ourselves in the long run. It's a difficult one; I got an email from the Roundhouse, with a questionnaire asking about what would make me go back to attending concerts there. In my case, because I only go to 2 or three gigs per year, I can probably go without for a while. What about going to a restaurant or a drink at the pub? It was pointed out by one of my Daughters, that having realised how much less they spend by having a drink at home, compared to going to the pub, that their future habits might change in any case. We takes risks every day, driving in our car, crossing the road etc, without thinking much about it, but now, with COVID, this should probably be at the forefront of our minds.
I read that & thought it was interesting, ultimately if we cannot find a vaccine then we need an effective coping strategy.

I went for my daily bike ride here in Portland down to a little park by the river. There's a boat ramp there and a small jetty.

The jetty was literally packed with teenagers. There wouldn't have been a spot on the jetty that was two feet from a person.

There were groups of six and eight people picnicking throughout the park.

The governor allowed bars and restaurants to open last week. One of the requirements to allow opening was a reduction in new cases over the previous two weeks, but new cases had doubled. They justified it by saying they were looking at the big picture but didn't release supporting data. Meanwhile all the southern states are seeing a huge surge in hospitalizations.

As Han Solo said a long time ago "I've got a bad feeling about this".

I love the Tory way of speaking. Today we had cluster busting. Last week, cherry on the cake. Before that, baby steps.

BJ clearly in his element in PMQs.

Speaker had to warn to Johnson to withdraw an accusation of lying .

That's a bit misleading, though I don't say that you're inadvertently giving a false impression.

In which case it makes the figure even worse as that may have been 99 deaths over a weekend compared to 171 just yesterday. The point I’m trying to make is it is likely more dangerous right now than it was when we went into lockdown There has to be a huge peak on the way, surely? I really have no idea what they are thinking, it just seems against logic as the UK clearly does not have C19 under control yet.
I'm certain their policies will result in more deaths than there ought to be. I'm not sure it's incompetence.

Professor Steven Reicher Psychology Professor and member of Sage subcommitee

"Whatever the prime minister might say, his policies lead to banner headlines such as Freedom Pass and Independence Day. But we don’t even need to read the papers. Every time we pass an open bar, it will scream to us that the danger is all but gone and we are “back to normal”. After all, who in their right mind would reopen the pubs and abandon distancing in the midst of a deadly pandemic?"

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...08277bcb4570d1#block-5ef3696e8f08277bcb4570d1

3142_noice.png

A Prime Minister who always sets the right tone in a crisis- the man who coined “Operation Last Gasp” as thousands were dying has found new gravitas-

“Britain is targeting local outbreaks in a strategy that Prime Minister Boris Johnson calls “Whac-a-Mole.”
(NYT)

A Prime Minister who always sets the right tone in a crisis- the man who coined “Operation Last Gasp” as thousands were dying has found new gravitas-

“Britain is targeting local outbreaks in a strategy that Prime Minister Boris Johnson calls “Whac-a-Mole.”
(NYT)

Yes, there’s something definitely interesting and worth exploring going on there for sure, at the level of communications. Whack a Mole, Cluster Buster, Operation Last Gasp etc. It’s all been very much thought through by Dominic, I’m sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back