advertisement

Coronavirus - Making Your Stuff Last Longer

Stemcor

I should be listening to music
In these challenging times when there’s very little in the shops, how are you going to make what you have last a little longer ?

Mrs S told me that when she was a young girl that her mother would take a 2 ply tissue and then divide it into 2 x 1 ply tissues so they would last twice as long. Brilliant.

Anybody else got any advice or tips for maximising their resources ? Let’s get thrifty !

Use the bread loaf crusts, eat the things that are slightly out of date that you used to throw away, eat grass.

Crusts are the best bits.
I have never taken any notice of BBE dates on anything, just used my nose. I have eaten stuff 2-3 (probably more) years after BBE and it tasted fine.
Apart from trimmings from veg', VERY little gets binned here and not much veg' gets peeled either.

More suggestions?

Tinned and dry goods - bugger the use by dates!

They usually have best before so you're usually OK. Two days ago, Mrs Seeker and I had a tin of chicken and sweetcorn soup that was BBE 07/2019 and we're still alive.

Rather than buying meat, get some pet lizards and just eat the tails.

If you peel vegetables, boil the peel to make stock.

A lovely lady I used to work with used to remove snails from people's gardens for a fee, keep them in a bucket for a few days until their digestive tracts were clear x then cook them up. They tasted OK.
https://www.misssnailpail.org/

There is no food shortage and there won’t be any.

admittedly, supermarkets are a bad place to hang out these days, so I might buy more often from local farms. Essentially potatoes, carrots, cabbage. Why not make cabbage wraps now we’ve got the time for it !

Be careful of eating mince that has been just left out sat there for a few days. Soon go through your toilet rolls.

Crusts are the best bits.
I have never taken any notice of BBE dates on anything, just used my nose. I have eaten stuff 2-3 (probably more) years after BBE and it tasted fine.
Apart from trimmings from veg', VERY little gets binned here and not much veg' gets peeled either.

More suggestions?

Broccoli stems can be sliced up and steamed with the rest. Perfectly edible.

[edit] I’m not the first to mention this!

They usually have best before so you're usually OK. Two days ago, Mrs Seeker and I had a tin of chicken and sweetcorn soup that was BBE 07/2019 and we're still alive.
Absolutely correct. BB and BBE are advisory. It will be past its best but edible. DO NOT ignore Use By, eating after this date can make you sick. Not every time, and probably not on the first day after, but it depends on if you feel lucky.

George has it in one. Homog milk freezes fine, if not the fat splits and it butters out, if I may use terms we used to use in my dairy days. Don't freeze too much at a time, it will take days to defrost.

cant reply in other thread -

when we had milk we used to freeze it in icecube trays or bags

I can't believe anyone ever throws food away anyway, it just doesn't compute.

I mainly live off my own fresh batch cooked meals that have been frozen, partly due to laziness and partly down to restricted time/energy during the week to cook meals after work so there's little, if any waste.

I can't believe anyone ever throws food away anyway, it just doesn't compute.

me too, our food waste levels are exceptionally low.

We plan our cooking carefully, buy accordingly and then cook and freeze at the weekend.

me too, our food waste levels are exceptionally low.

We plan our cooking carefully, buy accordingly and then cook and freeze at the weekend.

It's also not hard to keep track of what is on the way out and use it before it needs to be binned, I don't get it...

advertisement

Back