advertisement

Copland CSA 100

Gza

pfm Member
This new amp looks interesting. Hybrid design, 100w, phonostage and dac. The reviews have been positive. Wonder how it compares to the naim and rega amps in the same price range. Has anyone listened to one yet ?

No I haven't heard one but I did previously own a Copland Hybrid amp c/w RC & MM phonostage and it was hard to find fault , sounded great, nice phonostage, well built and a nice aesthetic design IMO , although this was a late 90's model, I now use a Copand valve pre from the same era.

A friend of mine has its predecessor since 1995 and still working well although never been serviced at all so you can’t go wrong in terms of quality, it’s a serious company using only high quality components.
In terms of sound, it’s a bit less punchy and bassy than my Supernait 1 but it doesn’t matter to him as he has some large floorstanders that compensate for this.
Tone seems to be more accurate on the Copland but when listening to a live recording, the Supernait brings us in the show a better way if I can say.
His amp is all solid state so might be a bit different on this new one.

yes would love to hear one but whenever i read this i avoid the amp !! I know i shouldnt but there you go

RTM
As I always do, I read the manual cover to cover before connecting anything to the unit (really? – Ed). In this case, I learned that the CSA 100 is phase inverted, which means reversing the black and red speaker cables at the amplifier. I used two different loudspeakers during the review period, Harbeth C7 XDs and Dynaudio Super Forty Anniversary editions. The CSA 100 brought out the best in both.

https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/copland-csa-100-integrated-amplifierdac

yes would love to hear one but whenever i read this i avoid the amp !! I know i shouldnt but there you go

RTM
As I always do, I read the manual cover to cover before connecting anything to the unit (really? – Ed). In this case, I learned that the CSA 100 is phase inverted, which means reversing the black and red speaker cables at the amplifier. I used two different loudspeakers during the review period, Harbeth C7 XDs and Dynaudio Super Forty Anniversary editions. The CSA 100 brought out the best in both.

https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/copland-csa-100-integrated-amplifierdac

No you shouldn't! It makes zero difference. The actual recordings are pretty random as to which absolute phase they are in!

I've not heard that one but I have demoed one of their hybrid integrated amps previously and was very impressed. At that time I did go with a Naim system instead, but I think that might have been a price point decision rather than an absolute sound quality one. I've since move back to integrated amps in all of my systems and if I see one of the Hybrid Coplands at a decent price 2nd hand might well pick one up.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am testing a Copland 405/408 actually.
My first impression is, that details are not as clear, and bass is not as dry as with my Teddy PR1/MB100 setup. But the soundstage is growing and voices are really sweet. If I would like to have the strength of both, which way should I go? A Hybrid with Valve Pre and Transistor Power-End or the other way around?

I learned that the CSA 100 is phase inverted, which means reversing the black and red speaker cables at the amplifier.

In a pedantic way I guess that is true. ‘Phase inverted’ could be said to mean ‘reversing the black and red speaker cables at the amplifier’ although it’s a bit of a stretch. On the other hand

‘the CSA 100 is phase inverted, which means you need to reverse the black and red speaker cables at the amplifier’ is definitely not true. Semantics, innit?

yes there are pages and pages on it but with a huge range of non inverted amps i am afraid i avoid them !!!!

As an amplifier designer I take absolutely no notice whatsoever of if an amp is phase reversing or not beyond the design stage. I can't think of anything less important... It's on a par with being bothered if the text on the side of the cardboard box it arrived in was in blue or black ink...

for those that are bothered then yes of course you just swap the red and black speaker plugs at the amp (after switching it off!) but as it is guaranteed to make no difference I wouldn't bother.

advertisement

Back