advertisement

COP26 Any Answers?

dweezil

pfm Member
As we approach this big hot air creation event does anyone think anything will be achieved?

I doubt any politician will espouse a policy to help reduce our population which is a basic need in this finite world.

Personally i'm coming round to the idea of a large roll out of Gen IV nuclear being the only way out to reduce greenhouse gas production in the short term.

Is it in any way conceivable that the message will reach third world countries where lunch tomorrow is a more pressing problem?

I do feel that UK, as a historic leader in GHG production, has some moral obligation to set an example of what could be done.

I nearly posted a thread about this recently so thanks .hope it's not all just hot air

I am pretty worried by all this talk of heat pumps etc , don't fancy freezing to death in my old age and having noisy fans disturbing the peace

Then why are they spending a fortune adapting the network to carry hydrogen mixes?
They spent all last year doing my entire town.

Good point, Bob, you may well be right. I’m a bit confused because the current policy is incoherent in that regard. Why propose a ban on the sale of gas boilers in new builds, in 5 years or so, while rejigging the gas infrastructure for hydrogen?

Because the ban is only on “fossil fuel” gas boilers.
Ie natural gas and oil.
I think all new boilers installed must be able to be converted to hydrogen.

Because the ban is only on “fossil fuel” gas boilers.
Ie natural gas and oil.
I think all new boilers installed must be able to be converted to hydrogen.

Will hydrogen ever be cheap enough? It's ridiculously expensive as a fuel at the moment and a lot of the supply details are due to fundamental problems, not just lack of scale.

We had the latest Carbon Capture plant on the news this week, a massive project in Iceland.

Turns out it will capture 4000 tonnes a year out of our 40 Billion tonne emissions.

I'm slightly worried by heat pumps too, great in the summer when you can get 400% efficiency and don't need any heat but air source in winter drops towards less than 200%.

Will there ever be mains hydrogen? Or will we have to have a big tank in the garden? Are gas cookers on their way out too?

Nuclear fusion had better be ready soon or we are heading for a bad place.

P.S If any one is thinking of mentioning the “fusion is xx years away and always will be”, fvck off.

It is.
Even if there was a breakthrough that allowed a few seconds power output it would be decades if not centuries before it was available to power cities.
Anyone who thinks it’ll be saving us any time soon can Fvck off.

It is.
Even if there was a breakthrough that allowed a few seconds power output it would be decades if not centuries before it was available to power cities.
Anyone who thinks it’ll be saving us any time soon can Fvck off.

In 1970 fusion experiments produced ten micro watts of power, in 1980 it was ten watts, in 1990 twenty kilowatts, in 2000 several megawatts, you had better hope people like you are not making the decisions about fusion.

In 1970 fusion experiments produced ten micro watts of power, in 1980 it was ten watts, in 1990 twenty kilowatts, in 2000 several megawatts, you had better hope people like you are not making the decisions about fusion.
And how long pray tell us did the burst of power last, and what was the power input required for the output? No fusion experiment has produced more power output than input and ignition has only been achieved once, this year.
People like you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

And how long pray tell us did the burst of power last, and what was the power input required for the output? No fusion experiment has produced more power output than input and ignition has only been achieved once, this year.
People like you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

The progress is exponential not linear, that ought to be enough to tell you it’s sooner rather than later.

Will there ever be mains hydrogen? Or will we have to have a big tank in the garden? Are gas cookers on their way out too?
I don’t think we will be having hydrogen tanks in our gardens just yet, remember the Hindenburg disaster. On another note, gas is being phased out on new commercial builds, however heating by electric boilers is not carbon friendly, as the footprint is offset to a gas powered power station to supply the electricity, it is also twice as costly to heat the building as gas is. Air source heat pumps are about 75% of the cost of electric boilers, still more expensive than gas, ground scourge heat is the cheapest option, but you have to either have a big garden, and I mean big, to lay a slinky instal, or go down a long way avoiding everything underground. At the moment they are still renewing our gas installers tickets and all this without a mention of the inevitable. There are bigger concerns that could happen, what if Bojo really pissed off Putin and he turns the pipeline off, no gas and not a lot of electric being produced either. :)

ASHP, at least IMO, simply are a non starter for heating most existing housing in the UK.
Possibly those built recently with huge levels of insulation and (just as importantly) sealing off air leakage/draughts and employing mvhr. Then you stand a chance. The cost of bringing all housing to that standard is just not going to happen.
What the answer is I cannot say, but unless something amazing happens, ashp will become major mill stones.

advertisement

Back