advertisement

Converter

Bracksy

pfm Member
Just purchased a JF Exposure CDP from Germany.
Do i need a voltage converter?
Never entered my mind, you could say a proper thick moment ;)
If so please direct me to something that would do the job

Regards

There is a long standard answer about Germany being 220V nominal, and UK 240V nominal, but in reality kit that is design to work with one works with the other.

No converter needed, other than a new mains plug.

I think Germany is 230 nominal, so even closer. It changed from 220 to 230 about 25 years ago, don't know how old the Exposure is, though.

Having now looked it does say 220-230 on the back.
There does seem to be an issue though possible ground loop buzzing through the speakers very loud but only when a cd is being played.
I have unplugged other sources & still happening any ideas?

Is CD player double isolated? Does it have the square in square logo? If not, the earth loop is between CDP and amp.

Square in square logo? . any ideas on fixing the loop i did try earth cable between the cd & amp but made no difference.
Not techi at all so simple instrucions ��

ok found the problem opened it up after seeking advise from Tony at Exposure one of the Large caps has came off the board with pins will this need to be soldered back on. or is it a case of pushing back in to holes

Will post a pic in a few mins

Needs soldering, and reglueing - if it has taken a knock in transit hard enough to dislodge that cap (unless these have a history of the glue failing on the smoothing caps?), I would also check out the rest of the PCB for dry joints.

Does it have transport screws, and were they used for shipping? Sounds like you got lucky.

Richard

No transport screws. Yes very lucky it seems. I assume a small amount of solder underneath the board is the way to go.
Sorry this may all be obvious but i'm a listener not a fixer :)

The glue often becomes brittle after a time and fails. If it was mine I'd be drilling the board and using tie wraps to secure the caps.

After a little advice from Tony at Exposure it is now fixed.
A lovely player indeed.

Just for info, they used clear Silicone to hold the large caps in place

PHEW

advertisement

Back