advertisement

Contaminated blood inquiry

Lets hope this inquiry is a good advert for not privatising health care. It looks like some devastating decisions were made more than once.

Can you explain why?
Simon, you know where the pooled plasma came from for human Factor VIII back then. US manufacturers paid people for donations and people in desperate need of quick cash donated, some in need of cash for their next bag of heroin. They also used prisoners who were in prison for guess what? All because profits were to be made. The polar opposite of BTS donor recruitment policy.

Simon, you know where the pooled plasma came from for human Factor VIII back then. US manufacturers paid people for donations and people in desperate need of quick cash donated, some in need of cash for their next bag of heroin. They also used prisoners who were in prison for guess what? All because profits were to be made. The polar opposite of BTS donor recruitment policy.
Thanks Dec.
I was aware of the origin of Factor VIII, but I'm not sure you can then equate any cause as privatising healthcare.
I suspect we may have done similarly in the UK, had the technology been available here.
Our first child was born in the UK in 1985.
I made sure that my wife understood that under no circumstances should she accept a blood transfusion from male blood.
At that time the BTS was not testing donors for HIV, yet it was widely known, certainly amongst medics, that it was only male blood that would transmit HIV.

Thanks Dec.
I was aware of the origin of Factor VIII, but I'm not sure you can then equate any cause as privatising healthcare.
I suspect we may have done similarly in the UK, had the technology been available here.
Our first child was born in the UK in 1985.
I made sure that my wife understood that under no circumstances should she accept a blood transfusion from male blood.
At that time the BTS was not testing donors for HIV, yet it was widely known, certainly amongst medics, that it was only male blood that would transmit HIV.
Genuine non arsy question, but why doesn’t blood from female with HIV transmit the disease?

Certainly a new one to me; can't believe that's correct?
No it isn’t correct. DrF has clarified I think. He said that it wasn’t ‘only’ male blood that could transmit, just that at the time it was overwhelmingly the case that it did, which seems reasonable

The HCV story has nothing to do with private vs. public health care. Very effective treatment for HCV, without side effects, has existed for about 10 years. Before that the only option was Interferon, later combined with Ribavarin, which had horrible side effects and were only effective in a minority of cases (there are several strains of HCV, some easier to "kill" than others).

The new, revolutionary drugs that appeared about 10 years ago are produced by American pharmaceutical companies that invested zillions, and are now quite rightly making profits on them.
None of the many national research establishments came anywhere near, I assume because of inadequate funding and the inability to hire-and-fire to get the best scientists. I don't know if they even did any research on HCV.

As the world stands today, it is almost exclusively private companies that have the will and the means to gamble on research projects that may, or may not, result in profitable new drugs.

Another aspect is screening the population for HCV. This is cheap and should be done by the public health system. HCV takes 10, 20, 40 years before symptoms appear, by which time the liver is usually irreparably knackered.

Another thing I know is that the pharma companies that produce the HCV drugs make agreements with national governments to supply the drugs to the state health system at a lower price. I don't know what the situation in Malaysia is in this regard.

Pharma companies invest in profit not compassion, the story of under investment in anti biotics is typical of medical research.
The majority of research is carried out in universities subsidised by governments and students, having participated in several drug studies (guinea pig) it seems pharma is mainly interested in high cost low volume drugs as profit margins are better.

The one that needs an effective treatment now is TB, I am seeing 20 year olds dying of it now. General purpose antibiotics have become useless.
You don't hear of much research going on.

The HCV story has nothing to do with private vs. public health care. Very effective treatment for HCV, without side effects, has existed for about 10 years. Before that the only option was Interferon, later combined with Ribavarin, which had horrible side effects and were only effective in a minority of cases (there are several strains of HCV, some easier to "kill" than others).

The new, revolutionary drugs that appeared about 10 years ago are produced by American pharmaceutical companies that invested zillions, and are now quite rightly making profits on them.
None of the many national research establishments came anywhere near, I assume because of inadequate funding and the inability to hire-and-fire to get the best scientists. I don't know if they even did any research on HCV.

As the world stands today, it is almost exclusively private companies that have the will and the means to gamble on research projects that may, or may not, result in profitable new drugs.

Another aspect is screening the population for HCV. This is cheap and should be done by the public health system. HCV takes 10, 20, 40 years before symptoms appear, by which time the liver is usually irreparably knackered.

Another thing I know is that the pharma companies that produce the HCV drugs make agreements with national governments to supply the drugs to the state health system at a lower price. I don't know what the situation in Malaysia is in this regard.

What like Purdue or Turing Pharmaceuticals?

The fact remains that the evil, cynical, profit-hungry pharmaceutical companies are the ones that come up with new drugs. Profits means money to invest in research. Compassion is very nice but it does not finance research. The only alternative would be state-funded research, but it has not worked out very well so far.
As for "state universities and students (?) supporting research," from what little I know it is more a case of "Big Pharma" financing research in universities.
Granted, the researchers in "Big Pharma" probably studied in public universities, at the taxpayer's expense, and a great deal of basic research takes place in universities and state research institutions.
But coming up with effective new drugs is a different, and very costly matter. Shareholders in "Big Pharma" want profits, if they don't have profits "Big Pharma" loses its shareholders and has no money to invest in research.

advertisement

Back