advertisement

Considering a HIgh End CD Transport Possibly Metronome Technologie

music4nusic

pfm Member
Im starting to look around for a high end transport to replace my Shanling CDT2000 that Ive been using as a transport via spdif to my Modwright Elise DAC. Having played around I think my system is limited by the transport abilities of the Shanling.

The Metronome is incredibly "Bling" which Im a big sucker for admittedly. Has anyone here got any listening experience of this transport or even the DAC 8 refrence to go with it. Big bucks I know but what are the options based on the experience here in PFM?

Heard it recently at a local hifi shop. They had the general manager from Metronome over for the demo's. They are bling and well put together. Talking to him there is no doubt serious effort went into the power supplies all individually separated out within each unit. They use AKM chips and the brief listen I had to the DAC and CD player was very impressive but would need to be hearing it in my own system and stuff I am familiar with to be definite on how good it is. Best of luck if you jump in, highly regarded stuff but pricing is very expensive for most ordinary punters.

If you're really looking at a player like that (not just dreaming about it!), then you're in territory that few, if any, on here inhabit. I think that's around £40K these days?

If you're after a really top CD player, then take a serious look at a Merdian 808v6 Signature. All in one player and seriously, seriously, good. UK support from a well established brand.Around £11K I think.

I've not heard the Metronome (who has?!!!), but I have heard the Meridian. Amazing and it's built and operates like it'll last for ever. I'd consider very carefully just exactly how much, if any, more you'd be getting from the Metronome, other than its styling for £29K more. But if you've the money and it floats your boat then go for it!

hi, iv'e heard a full spec metronome set-up at a show a few years ago, it was the best thing ever, trouble is i don't know how much of the sound was coming from the cd dac combo, compared to the amps and speakers, carn't for the life of me remember what the full system was, but it was sublime and from the nice people at KJ west one,,you can get the transport used, then get the full spec dac as well, there is a transport on Audiomarkt Germany at the moment get saving or spending,,http://www.audio-markt.de/_markt/item.php?id=3755825448

And why would you do it even in a car (or especially in a car, where mechanical systems are to be avoided)?
because my car only has a cd player and it has no inputs and I'm tight.

One of my cars only has a *cassette* player, but I just patched in a cable for my mobile phone.
Actually I lied; mine had a radio so I could probably get one of those fm broadcaster things to play to it from my phone. But it seems too much bother.

If sound quality is the primary criterion then a proper media PC with a seperate async USB to SPDIF converter is the way to go. Technically better than any CD transport or at least equal, but for under £2k very very easily. A bit of thought and just as easy to use as a CD transport. Choice of USB front end is important, Halide Bridge (any Streamlength converter) or Audiophileo in particular. Lots of poorer harsher ones out there like the V-Link series.

advertisement

Back