advertisement

Connecting dual railed Naim SNAPS

vrazji

pfm Member
I have an old dual-railed SNAPS fitted with Avondale TPR1s that's currently not in use.

I was thinking of trying it in place of my TPX1 that is powering the 32.5, preferably with the "original" Naim wiring scheme. Just for the fun of it if nothing else...

However, looking at the back of the SNAPS it has left me rather puzzled at what would be the correct way to wire it all up.

The SNAPS had the socket nr. 4 changed for a 5 pin 240° din. All the other ones appear stock 4 pin dins.

The power amp is a non-Naim (=no din connectors).

Any thoughts on this?

The Naim way is to connect the 32.5 to the SNAPS with a 5pin 240 degree snaic and the power amp to the SNAPS with a 4 pin din to whatever the power amp needs on the other end lead. Ie the signal passes through the SNAPS.

Just connected it up and no sound from the speakers :(
Preamp powers up though...

Any other idea? Perhaps socket nr. 3 (right next to the 5 pin one)? They seem connected the same way like nr. 1 and 2 are (from what I can see from the picture anyway - haven't opened the SNAPS up again)...

Or is the "Avondale" wiring scheme the only option?

Didn't see the non Naim power amp bit, what is the power amp?
The snaps will just power the pre so try a din to rca lead from the pre output din socket to the power amp

It's an Avondale Voyager clone.

Connected it up to socket nr. 3 and all works now. Does this scheme also preserve the Naim grounding arrangement?

I remembered now I've used the SNAPS before just as you've described - SNAPS to power the pre (72 then) and pre-amp output to power amp.

http://prntscr.com/7k4ek3

You get the power from wherever the 5 pin 240° socket is,
The 2 times 24V where originally split into 1x24X on 2 separate sockets each,
to get HiCap function it was desoldered at 1 socket and used to get a second 24V rail on the 5 pin socket(HiCap functionality)

I received my custom fabricated cables from flashback this morning,
so my signal is now no more going via the SNAPS, but directly from the pre to SNAXO.
The SNAPS is now only delivering power & is no more routing signal.

David from Flashback showed me a trick to 'steal' the signal from the PRE,
so you can split the signal and the power path.

The pre supports both, sockets to power amps
and, for active users, sockets for NAXOS.

But all these exits have the signal ready to grab off,
so 1 power amp users can use the PWR amp socket to lead only the signal to the pwr amp & feed power to the PRE via the (snaxo)-HiCap socket by a power-only cable.

Same vice versa, users of SNAXOS
can feed the PRE with power 1 way only via the socket supposed to go to the SNAXO HiCap.
And again use a signal-only cable going out from the PWR amp socket of the PRE.
On the SNAXO in this case an Y exit is needed, as the SNAXO only has 1 single socket for both-receiving signal AND power.

So got my Y cable + 1 single power-only cable from flasback today,
signal path shortened from +3 meters to a 50cm & much less connections inbetween now.

advertisement

Back