advertisement

Connecting 32.5/140/hi-cap

heidcase music

pfm Member
I have been running a 32.5/140/hi-cap with the snaic 5 between 32.5 and hi-cap and the snaic 4 between 32.5 and 140. All is running well and sounding good. I read however on some Naim Forum that the correct way to connect is snaic 5 32.5 to hi-cap and snaic 4 hi-cap to 140 Is this the correct way? or will i leave well alone!!

The correct Naim way of connecting up a NAC/HiCap/NAP system is a 5-pin SNAIC from NAC to HiCap and a 4-pin SNAIC from HiCap to NAP.

If you connect the NAC to the HiCap with a 5-pin SNAIC and the NAC to the NAP with a 4-pin SNAIC then the +24v output from the NAP will be connected to one of the two +24v outputs of the HiCap inside the NAC which can result in one, or the other, or both regulators being fried depending on the order in which the NAP and HiCap are powered up. This is not recommended!

There is an alternative cabling arrangement, originally proposed by Avondale, that connects the way you have done but the cables are different with the 5-pin SNAIC being wired for power only and the 4-pin SNAIC being wired for signal only - this prevents the +24v output from NAP being connected to the output of the HiCap.

If you have wired it as you describe and it's working well I would guess that the +24v output from the 140 has been disabled internally or is not working.

avondale%2520cabling.jpg

This has got me thinking too!!

I'm running a similar rig (42.5/HC/110) and presently...

HiCap socket 4 to pre-amp (Snaic 5)
Power amp (Snaic 4) to pre-amp ie as it would be without a separate psu

Just done some reading up and it would appear the right way is HiCap socket 2 to power amp with the Snaic 4, rather than to the pre-amp?

Mine sounds fine too - but did notice that on switching the HiCap off, the pre-amp's LED is still light by the power from the 110 so it's still receiving juice from the power amp.

Should be 5 pin from Hi to pre amp, 4 pin out of Hi to power amp.

You could use 4 pin out of pre amp with blanking plug in the 5 pin and then g straight to the power amp. This allow the power amp to feed the pre.

Just swapped the leads around to ^this^ and you know what? It even sounds better. :cool:

Phoned the Naim Dealer who supplied the amps and they say I can run both ways without causing any harm. I have now connected as above but i dont think it sounds as good ah well were all different i suppose Thanks for all the help

Fantastic!

:cool:

Indeed. :)

Just got in from playing a gig this evening so being in the mood for some good choons have got Count Basie '88 Basie St' playing for most of the neighbourhood (fortunately our nearest neighbours are 40 yds away). Sounds bloody marvellous. :cool:

As I understand it, the system grounding point should be in the preamp's power supply, which in a three box Naim amplifiication setup, would be the HiCap/Flatcap supplying the preamp. So the snaics should run from preamp to psu and from psu to power amp, but not preamp to power amp. I've tried it and the SQ is significantly degraded. Note that this is using Naim cables; Avondale has an alternative cable configuration; however I cannot comment on this as I have no experience of their cables.

In a two box amp, eg NAC 102-NAP180, the snaic will go from preamp to power amp because the grounding point is within the NAP.

Simples..........I think:D

^ That's correct, and what Julian used to teach us.
The issue is whether you've inadvertently connected two +24v supplies together, and they'll fight. Only an issue with NAP200 or below with a 24v supply built in, 250s , 135s and the bigger amps don't have this.

advertisement

Back