advertisement

Concertgebouw looking for a new chief

That didn’t last! He was a surprising appointment I thought. Salonen would be a marriage made in heaven, failing him, Petrenko. On the British side, I wonder if Harding and Gardner would go for it?

That didn’t last! He was a surprising appointment I thought. Salonen would be a marriage made in heaven, failing him, Petrenko. On the British side, I wonder if Harding and Gardner would go for it?

Harding has been doing a fair bit with them in last 10 years or so, so maybe he's in the frame. Which Petrenko? - did you see Kyrill at the proms and was he any good?! Personally I think they need someone who will be around for a long tenure.

Other contenders might be <eek> Gergiev or Ivan Fischer.

Harding has been doing a fair bit with them in last 10 years or so, so maybe he's in the frame. Which Petrenko? - did you see Kyrill at the proms and was he any good?! Personally I think they need someone who will be around for a long tenure.

Other contenders might be <eek> Gergiev or Ivan Fischer.
Ha! I was going to wind you up by suggesting Gergiev but I imagine his job as Vladimirs bag man is probably too lucrative. K Petrenko is a mystery to me- not heard him yet. I was thinking Vasily- he’s probably got another 40 years in him. I thought Harding would have got it last time round but his trajectory seems to have faltered. He delivered a great Mahler 8 with the Swedish RSO on Sunday, though I felt slightly sorry for them having the Edinburgh Festival Chorus who sounded behind the beat once or twice. The Swedish Radio Choir is world class.

K Petrenko has just replaced sir Simon in Berlin. He is technically a very good conductor and I saw him blowing some dust from Mozart symphonies - which is always appreciated.

Harding has the right repertoire for the Concertgebouworkest but having seen him conducting the Berliner I'm just not sure. It feels odd, a British conductor in Amsterdam (sorry guys).

I checked for any news on this today and nothing. I imagine some of their targets will be locked into contracts, particularly the obvious younger ones who just taken up new posts recently. The original press release about Gatti was brutal- he was gone instantly.

Given that the RCO have been forced into this by a harassment scandal, perhaps it would be politic to appoint a woman into the role. Plenty of talent emerging and it would be a huge statement if one of the world's leading orchestras had a female music director.

advertisement

Back