advertisement

Concert DVD's & Blu rays - any recommendations?

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I have been thoroughly enjoying The Who - Live at Kilburn '77 on Blu Ray this afternoon. Not at their peak, but still shit hot. Perfectly lit and shot on 6x 35mm cameras in 16 track sound - so looks and sounds better than any other concert dvd I've ever seen or heard.

I liked it so much I've already ordered their, allegedly, far inferior Live in Texas '75 DVD.

What other Blu Rays or DVDs of fabulous concerts do folks here reckon are REALLY worth watching?

cheers

I have a DVD I listen to quite often especially before going to a live show to put me in the right mood.
This is An evening with Godsmack live at the House of Blues, Las Vegas.
They say it’s an acoustic show but the microphones vibrate when the drummer gives a shot of bass drum !

Also, for my personal taste, any live show from Rush is worth it as well.

Another vote for Pulse, but also check out Gilmour’s Live at Pompeii... more intimate but great sound and stunning location.

Peter Gabriel’s Secret World Live has long been a favourite not just because of the music but the fun the performers had on that tour shines through and is infectious.

Another vote for Pulse, but also check out Gilmour’s Live at Pompeii... more intimate but great sound and stunning location.

Peter Gabriel’s Secret World Live has long been a favourite not just because of the music but the fun the performers had on that tour shines through and is infectious.

Not forgetting Peter Gabriel’s Growing Up. Another superb concert recording.

I'm pleased to say that Spike Lee will be directing the film of the last David Byrne tour - really looking forward to that appearing.

Jeff Beck - Performing This Week, filmed at Ronnie Scott's. Superb sound and picture. Oh, and fabulous music!
Procol Harum - Live at the Union Chapel.
The Moody Blues - Lovely To See You Live.
ZZ Top - Live From Texas (with a great rendition Of Foxy Lady on the Bonus Features).
Roger Waters - The Wall. Stonking picture and Dolby Atmos sound.
The Rolling Stones - Live at the Max.

Much as I love Pink Floyd, I can't really get on with Pulse. I was at the concert, and subsequently bought the laserdisc, which was great, but for some reason known only to the tw*ts who did it they used different performances for the DVD, which really weren't so good as those on the LD.

I bought SWMBO a copy of the BluRay of Celine Dion Live in Las Vegas, which although not to my taste musically is a superbly staged and performed event.

Agree with the recommendations of The Last Waltz, and Stop Making Sense.

I'll have to hunt out the Funkadelic live DVD I've got, as I can't remember the name of it.
Not exactly a state of the art recording; but a reasonable taster of that era's bonkersness.

The Blu Ray of Peter Grimes Aldeburgh Beach is pretty good if you're into that sort of thing.

AC/DC at River Plate is a brilliant CD - one that really conveys the crowd. Time for me to get the DVD. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Last Waltz is great and everyone's getting into the party spirit... until Dylan comes along for the finale.

Not a 'pure' concert film, but The Last Waltz is great, worth it simply for Van Morrison's famous rip roaring, drunken karaoke performance of Caravan, which he actually pulls off. It has Mavis and Pops Staples in it, too.
I remember watching this when I was young. I subsequently bought it on this recommendation. It's a fascinating film, but for reasons I hadn't expected.

Robbie Robertson has plainly orchestrated the whole thing (film and concert) as a springboard to get his post-band career going and it's painfully obvious that his band mates know this, hate it, hate the fact he's unilaterally decided to can the band and their livelihoods and have apparently been bullied into appearing in the interview segments which they couldn't be more desultory about. Some of the guest slots are good, but give the whole thing the feel of a coke-addled back slapping valedictory night at the palladium.

The concert performances by the Band on their own, both live and in studio, are tremendous and would have made a great, if far less interesting, film on their own.

advertisement

Back