advertisement

[WTD] Computer Graphics Card

loz_the_guru

pfm Member
I know this is a bit off topic but i've seen them pop up for sale here occasionally so thought i'd roll the dice.

Budget is anywhere from £50-400, which I realise is quite a range!

Anyone got something gathering dust?

You may want to specify your requirements. If youw ant to play MS flight simulator 50 quid aint going to cut it.

If you are OK to spend 400 and have the appropriate computer and power supply then you cant really go wrong with a 3060TI or for around 200-250 a 1080TI. Anything for around 50 quid is going to be pretty useless outside of retro gaming.

Sorry I should have probably been a bit more specific. I'm currently without a GPU, having previously used a 1070. I don't game massively, but do have a spare bit of cash. At the bottom end of my budget I'd just be looking for something for desktop/word processing use (it'd need to output 4k@60hz via displayport. At the top end something that'll last me a good few years, with 2K/4K gaming for now. There are some 2070s on ebay which seem to go for around £200 which look like a potential option if nothing else pops up.

Thanks for the offer of the 6600xt, but I'm looking for a good deal on second hand.

Sorry I should have probably been a bit more specific. I'm currently without a GPU, having previously used a 1070. I don't game massively, but do have a spare bit of cash. At the bottom end of my budget I'd just be looking for something for desktop/word processing use (it'd need to output 4k@60hz via displayport. At the top end something that'll last me a good few years, with 2K/4K gaming for now. There are some 2070s on ebay which seem to go for around £200 which look like a potential option if nothing else pops up.

Thanks for the offer of the 6600xt, but I'm looking for a good deal on second hand.

Good luck.

You might make it to a 3070, but accept the inherent risks with second hand graphics cards :)

Do you actually need to spend more than about £35 on a used Nvidia GeForce 730 based card?

It will do all the office and AV stuff you're ever likely to want.

Your CPU is a the "mid level" Ryzen (but still 12 threads) so quite powerful and good enough for gaming but hard to justify a top GPU if you aren't really into gaming.

Alternatively you could change the CPU to one of the Ryzen G APU's. The 5xxxG series can be had brand new pretty cheaply at present and most gen1 and later mobos should have bios updates to handle them.

A used 3600 has decent resale value so that path could be very cost effective.

Well if he wants the 4k there, he wants something midly useful. There is nothing worse that 4k at 30hz on a desktop monitor.

30 Hz would be fine for most office type stuff, but the 730 really is very entry level so can't go beyond that.

Something like a Ryzen 5700G might well do all that's needed very well though. It will run 4K at 60Hz.

Display port might be a bit of a PITA though since most mobos only have HDMI, DVI and VGA

I upgraded to a 3060 a while back, it replaced a Palit 1070 I think. I'm pretty sure I still have it, will dig out the spec if so.

I don't really want to change the cpu, and I think it's good enough to warrant partnering with a decent GPU. A few years ago I bought a very basic card (Nvidia K400?) which was 4k capable but only 30hz and as another poster commented it was almost unusable for browsing/word etc.

It's a NE51070015P2-1043D. Spec here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-03n-pl.html

It's in decent nick:
cdBkeoJ.jpg

yDIuYOZ.jpg

F0j78NP.jpg

fV96ZLM.jpg
Let me know if interested.

Bump, still on the hunt
I have a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 2 Gaming ICX card up for grabs. However I'd like to sell it with my complete system cheaply as I've over grown it.

It has an ASRock X299E-ITX/AC Mobo in a NODE-304-W Mini-ITX case fitted with 32GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666 SODIM (4x8GB) and an Intel Core i7 7820X s2066. I'll also leave the SAMSUNG 1TB 970 EVO M.2 with Win 11 Pro in place. There is room for 3 M.2 2280 SSDs and 4 HDDs.

The snag. It has a Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler thats now very noisy and will after a while cause the CPU to over heat and then power off. So for a fully operative system you'll need to replace the CPU cooler. I am old with poor eyesight and arthritic hands and just can't be bothered so its open to a low offer.

How much? Well the kit was built 2018 and of top quality. So its a gift at £500 plus delivery. I could break it up and get more but I really can't waste my time (I've just come out of hospital). Someone was selling on pfm a 2018 Mac Mini with only a 128GB fixed SSD (none upgradeable) and 16GB ram with an i7 CPU and no serious GPU for £450 so mine is an absolute bargain.

Let me know if interested and if no interest on pfm is shown I'll just smash the whole thing up (less the SSD) and take it to the rubbish tip.

DV

Last edited:

advertisement

Back