advertisement

Computer for my HI-FI system: advice needed

JC,

Apples with PPC processors (G4, G5) will run OS X 10.4 (tiger) now superseded but still on support. (about 5 years old approx)
My PPC G5 was running 10.5 until it died this summer.

It was with OS X 10.6 that Apple had dropped support for G4- and G5-based computers.

Joe

Apples with PPC processors (G4, G5) will run OS X 10.4 (tiger) now superseded but still on support. (about 5 years old approx)

Apples with Intel cpu's will run OS X 10.5 (leopard) and 10.6 (snow-leopard) as well. It's worth running 10.5 at least imo, for the useful additional features and sound handling facilities.

The next version of OS X , 10.7 - Lion, is due for release in 2011, and there is integration with iOS ('phones, iPads, and iPods) to consider as well.

As usual it's best to run the latest version of the OS that is possible because it generally makes tasks easier to achieve.

Although Windows XP has its followers, particularly with older and low power computers, it's an awful kludge compared to current OS.

For the best and easiest results go for OS X on an Intel Apple, or Windows 7 on non Apple kit. Both have excellent sound quality and good facilities.

Don't take too much notice of Mick Parry, - he dis-approves of AVI loudspeakers and Ashley, and it makes his ears go funny as his blood pressure rises. ;)

JC.
Any PPC 867 MHz or faster can run 10.5. However, I'd still recommend getting an Intel instead as it can also run 10.6 and will obviously be more future-proof.

advertisement

Back