advertisement

Computer for my HI-FI system: advice needed

ummaya

I have decided to go the way of computer audio instead of buying an expensive high quality CD player.

My present system consists of : a preamplifier + an amplifier + a pair of speakers + a DVD player + a 42 inch LCD TV. I will buy and add a DAC and a computer dedicated only to my 'music center' (on which I will have a software like J.River MC or Foobar installed)
A month ago I purchased a brand new computer to replace my 5 years old rig which is now in my living room; I thought to use the old computer as the dedicated computer for my music center but it is too much noisy. Loud Rock and Roll music or symphonic music may cover the noise of the computer but I cannot imagine myself listening to any quiet music, specially not piano sonatas or any solo instrumental music with the computer's noise in the background.

One of my friend suggested a ASRock Ion 330HT as a quiet computer but in several forums I have read many posts of people complaining about the noise level of the 330HT. I need your advice to help me choose a computer as quiet as possible (my budget more or less $450)

There is so much available, ifyou dedicate it to music solely then something like a small Dell their 'zino' have. look at the Computer Audiophile forum, there are several articles on build yourself servers.
Keith.

Why not put the computer in another room and stream to a Revo Heritage, which covers everything including an optical out and an upscaled video out so that you can watch movies on your iPod/iPhone on the TV as well.

Or buy an Apple.

Ash

My ASRock Ion 330HT isn't noisy, it's just a faint whirr like from a laptop or DVD player. There are many other cheap and quiet Atom based computers but the DVD drive, eSATA port and S/PDIF optical out make this model quite good value.

It's hard to look beyond the mac. I use a mac mini at home and a macbook when on contracts. Absolutely quiet, plus you can use the ipod or iphone as remote.

Shuttle XS35GT. Has only HDMI output, so you'd need a DAC with USB input or USB to SPDIF converter. If video playback is not needed, XS35 is just as good.

It has no fans, if you install an SSD there will be no moving parts. Only possible noise could be from the transformer but there are no complaints on that front.

I use Squeezebox - one advantage is that computer can be placed away from the living room where noise does not matter.

Tim

I also use a 2010 Mac mini for dedicated audio. It is small, very quiet, functions excellently, and made of a billet of aluminium so looks acceptable. Importantly it works very well as a head-less system with ready access from any other computer on the same wireless network and with iTouch and iPhone for remote. It also does a good job for playing films to projector and TV when required. Music is stored on an external, bus-powered 1TB HD which is also very nice and quiet etc (G-tech mini Gen 4).

Can I piggyback your question as I am in same boat. Clearly digital has to be a part of my hifi going forwards. I am assuming the digital Media is irrelevant here as it is just bits until we get to the DAC? - someone correct me if I am wrong. I am not sure of the importance of the different DAC interfaces and would welcome comment here too.

For me another PC sitting next to the hi Fi feels wrong. Noise aside I do not really want to have a screen lit up everytime I play music and having to wait for a PC to boot up.....

I do run a PC on my network that is on full time anyway so what is the best thing here? If the DAC connection is important then this would influence my choice but as I have not decided on the DAC yet am open to advice and suggestions. My tv already grabs whatever it wants off my network so not so worried about video streaming I am really just out for optimal sound quality....

If you have a smartphone or an iPod touch, you'll be able to find apps to control playback for pretty much anything you choose to go for - Squeezebox, Sonos, iTunes, foobar, Sooloos, Linn DS, etc. That there is a PC attached to your system will be far from obvious.

A Mac mini only makes sense if you are going to use a Firewire DAC, it's difficult to find another small and quiet system that has the interface. It's far more expensive and being limited to only one 2.5" drive means you'll soon be eyeing a NAS or adding external storage. That said, I believe you'd be better off starting with a NAS located out of the way and a client such as the Sonos or Squeezebox or the Shuttle I mentioned because it's so cheap (~£200 + 2.5" drive of your choice).

Can I piggyback your question as I am in same boat. Clearly digital has to be a part of my hifi going forwards. I am assuming the digital Media is irrelevant here as it is just bits until we get to the DAC? - someone correct me if I am wrong. I am not sure of the importance of the different DAC interfaces and would welcome comment here too.

For me another PC sitting next to the hi Fi feels wrong. Noise aside I do not really want to have a screen lit up everytime I play music and having to wait for a PC to boot up.....

I do run a PC on my network that is on full time anyway so what is the best thing here? If the DAC connection is important then this would influence my choice but as I have not decided on the DAC yet am open to advice and suggestions. My tv already grabs whatever it wants off my network so not so worried about video streaming I am really just out for optimal sound quality....

Up to a point, yes. The software you use need to be correctly set up to ensure you are maximising your chances of getting everything off the disc, that the OS doesn't re-interpret the recording and that the media server program you select suits the way you want to use your music.

Ayre has put together a good basic guide to setting up both Mac and Windows computers - http://www.ayre.com/usb.htm

This presumes you are using the PC next to the DAC (because Ayre makes DACs without network connections).

The Computer Audiophile Linn Majik DS-I review (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Linn-Majik-DS-I-Review) is useful because it also runs through some of the networked options. You don't necessarily need a PC running constantly, if you can hide a lower-powered NAS box somewhere in the house. The Linn DS system is at the more complex end of the networked solutions, however, others are easier.

Usually with these things, the bulk of the struggle happens at the front end, while you are setting up the system. Once put together, and thoroughly tested for stability, the system works smoothly.

A used (dual-core) Mac Mini with iTunes would suffice - you don't need the latest model for music (and video - it could replace your DVD player too).
A decent DAC would come in handy too.

A used (dual-core) Mac Mini with iTunes would suffice - you don't need the latest model for music (and video - it could replace your DVD player too).
A decent DAC would come in handy too.

Absolutely and they sound so good from the analogue output, you have a reference against which to judge an add-on DAC you may buy.

I've had one for four years now and have a 320 Gig HD in it and 2 Gig of ram, it's a 1.6 Gig dual core intel model. It's connected to the TV and mostly controlled by Rowmote in the iphone 4, but I have a wireless keyboard and mouse as well.

I use it to store Movies, Photos and Music and to stream as well for my second system in the sitting room.

Ash

I know this is outwith the OP's budget & I don't know if they would ship here but it's still relatively cheap. They seem keen to team up the Mac with the db Tranquility DAC. Does anyone do anything similar in the UK ?

http://www.mach2music.com/index.html

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74816.0

Hi James,

Yes, we ship to the UK. I used to live in London, and we have already shipped a couple of Mach2 Music servers to the UK.

We have a great working relationship with DB Audio LAbs, the makers of the Tranquility DAC. In fact, I have the Tranquility DAC and the new Signature version here in my setup. The Mach2 Server sounds great with numerous DACs though since we provide a nice clean signal. All DACs like that. ;-)

We specialize in making the MacMini sound amazing, and providing this in a turnkey system to people at a good price.

Thanks for the mention here. E-mail us with any questions.

Darrell
Mach2 Music

Damn I am in the wrong business. A 75 quid drive and 50 quid of ram puts on £600 quid.

Well played my friend.

advertisement

Back