advertisement

Compromising for less clutter and more style

Years ago you could add a Hicap to your system and it seemed like a good upgrade. I did this and heard improvements. But when I look at the current range and do wonder? The ndx is a prime example, only at its best with two massive external power supplies. The whole package costs thousands. This is clearly a marketing decision, any decent designer could make this work in one box.

There is also the factor of demographics.

If you can afford multi-box Naim rig, you're likely to have a larger than average property to fill all that space up with - space is not problem that high-end vendors have to address.

As others have said, there is no need for compromise on sound for style. A streaming solution can be very tidy. Integrated amplifiers are good sounding, selected well, and look good. Attractive floorstanders are in my experience easier to put into a room than stand mounts and have no more footprint. This is before you start hiding stuff in cupboards, which you can do. The key to it is actually tidying up what you have, if this is important to you. If you don't mind a rats' nest of cables, that's fine, it's your house. Also if you must have everything invisible and looking like a show home, that's fine too. It's your time to spend, if you want to cut mains leads to length so they run straight to the wall socket, then great. Just don't throw it all in a heap and then complain that it looks untidy.

advertisement

Back