advertisement

Component Identification

Richard Lines

pfm Member
Good Afternoon All,

This is the second query about polystyrene capacitors today.

This is a snapshot from published photo's of LesW's SE230 PCB's and I was idly wondering if anybody on here recognised the capacitor in use??

T5mgW7h.png

Regards

Richard

Sorry to butt in here but do you know what bias setting Les suggests for the SE boards?
He kindly sent me some boards a while back and I did ask him but he has not responded.
Wasn’t he moving north?
Cheers Andy.

I have some SUFLEX polystyrenes that look like that.

Good Evening All,

Thanks having Googled and looked at a whole lot of images I can see you're absolutely right, they don't appear to be a very common type? Might have to ask LesW directly if there is a particular reason for this type......

Regards

Richard

Axial Polystyrene caps are fundamentally the same ( rare ) thing, always. basically only one process to make them. Don't worry about it - use what you have, if you need to populate new boards.

Once the most common brand of polystyrenes in UK.... went bust/bought out/whatever years ago now.

Styrenes are one of the best types of capacitor around in measured performance but not suitable for modern automated mass production techniques due to low tolerance of high temperatures (infra red soldering ovens etc would literally melt them) and not available as SMD. Anything these days of superlative quality but not in demand @10 million a time quantities by big business PLC obvs has to be obsoleted tout sweet:rolleyes:

Hence whilst once very common you very rarely see them these days and AFAIK the only remaining manufacturer in Europe is LCR in Wales.

Good Evening All,

There are a fair few sellers of polystyrene capacitors on the internet, the boards I'm currently working with have 5 of them and probably have a part in the way they sound.

They are certainly the capacitor of choice for Jung and Bateman so that's good enough for me.

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Rush in Wales used to be the goto source, no longer trading. I get them Hayley at the stylus lady now.

They have a very good selection of small pf and xN caps and will match to order.

Those Suflex caps were noted as NOS, and they made many of the more usual silver coloured variety. I used them in an active crossover, and personally couldn't tell any difference between them. YMMV.

I remember building FSK boards with both polystyrene and mica capacitors in parallel to cancel out temperature coefficient (about 40 years ago)
These days ceramics are just better.

advertisement

Back