advertisement

Complete moron on a bike

I have one of those little bells that gives a single ‘ting’ when you ping the little hammer. That, coupled with a cheery “ ‘scuse me!” is usually enough, but I’m usually on rural tracks and bridleways rather than urban shared footpaths.

Both my bikes have bells. The responses to a couple of "tings" varies as much as the types of people out there... and usually in character (I'm guessing):
- Look round, step to one side, say "thank you" and get a similar cheery response from me and a slow/courteous pass
- Look round and scatter in all directions. I think this must by caveman survival behaviour. I slow and weave through them carefully with a cheery comment even though it's somewhat annoying.
- Look round then deliberately stay in the middle of the path. They usually get a sarcastic "thank you" from me and a less courteous pass. Sometimes they get a cheery "thank you.... dick head"
- Don't look round because they are deaf or have headphones in
- Don't look round even though they have heard, and just blank the cyclist. Not helpful!

For any pedestrians reading this please - look round so that the cyclist knows you have heard and move steadily to one side.
Blocking tactics just invite retaliation.

All the above is insignificant compared to dog owners with mimimal control over their dogs and a total conviction that they are always in the right.
This has got an order of magnitude worse since lockdown. I suspect due to the number of new dog owners who don't have any sort of clue how to discipline a dog.

Whenever I have had a bicycle, I have always fitted a good loud bell.

I am in the process of buying a Tern HSD to use around town for shopping and other errands. I have ordered a Dutch style Ding-Dong bell for it. I have one on the Elephant Bike the Tern is replacing. Loud enough to get folks attention when you're some distance away. I often get compliments for the sound of the bell. Ideal on a shared path where a group is spread across the path. Can be heard far enough away to give folks plenty time to sort themselves out. On these paths I'm always prepared to give the pedestrians priority, and slow down as required.

Mind you this afternoon a guy stepped off the pavement, in front of me, to cross the street diagonally without looking. Obviously assumed because he couldn't hear a car it was safe to cross. He got a ding dong.

Maybe needs to be rephrased?

I bet "A loud beep from my car horn shifts cyclists rather rapidly" wouldn't go down well! Balance of harm etc.

Bells have no effect whatsoever in traffic. I think some revert to air horns but that is a bit over the top IMHO.
I would have hoped that it would be fairly obvious I was talking about pedestrians not looking. Hardly equates with drivers beeping at cyclists who are in the right place. Or in noisy traffic. Do think a bit.

I don’t have a bell, I generally shout or swear;)

Ah, like the twat who used to belt at full speed on his Orange along the stretch of the Leeds Liverpool canal that I regularly walk my dog, whilst screaming "CONTROL YOUR ANIMAL, CONTROL YOUR ANIMAL". at every dog owner (so lots of them) and "COMING THROUGH " at the rest of the general public.

Someone must have had "a word" with him before I got to shove the prick into the cut because I've not seen him for a while.

Ah, like the twat who used to belt at full speed on his Orange along the stretch of the Leeds Liverpool canal that I regularly walk my dog, whilst screaming "CONTROL YOUR ANIMAL, CONTROL YOUR ANIMAL". at every dog owner (so lots of them) and "COMING THROUGH " at the rest of the general public.

Someone must have had "a word" with him before I got to shove the prick into the cut because I've not seen him for a while.
No, not like that at all as I don’t ride a MTB or go on a canal towpath which are generally far too narrow for cycling. It was a joke, hence the ;)

advertisement

Back