advertisement

Complete moron on a bike

Is there another side to the incident when a diver is drunk on the wrong side of the road? I appreciate you don’t like e-scooters; I am not 100% on them myself.
As has been stated many times before, the details of this case are unknown and we cannot therefore assume guilt of otherwise.

Is there another side to the incident when a diver is drunk on the wrong side of the road? I appreciate you don’t like e-scooters; I am not 100% on them myself.
Again I ask, have you seen the witness statements, or are you simply quoting from the press? Wait for the trial, then blame will be clear.

As I am in a cycling club & a member of British Cycling, I concede some bias here
Was that the national cycling organisation* that tried to stop motorcycles being allowed to use bus lanes? Claiming it was dangerous, despite evidence showing the opposite? At the time, I recall statistics showed that by far, cars and trucks were the biggest cause of collisions with bikes, followed (a long way back, to be fair) by stationary objects, other cyclists, and even further back by motorcycles.
* Not cyclists in general, just the organisation. IIRC, this was what stopped London boroughs allowing it, just leaving the Red Routes which are/were under the control of the mayor.

Again I ask, have you seen the witness statements, or are you simply quoting from the press? Wait for the trial, then blame will be clear.
The Police generally brief the press, I am struggling to come up with a scenario whereby a drunk driver on the wrong side of the road is not at fault? Perhaps the e-scooter rider threw himself under the car? Let’s be sensible here, everyone comments prior to trial & if it all comes out that the driver was not at fault then I will happily admit my grave error.

Was that the national cycling organisation* that tried to stop motorcycles being allowed to use bus lanes? Claiming it was dangerous, despite evidence showing the opposite? At the time, I recall statistics showed that by far, cars and trucks were the biggest cause of collisions with bikes, followed (a long way back, to be fair) by stationary objects, other cyclists, and even further back by motorcycles.
* Not cyclists in general, just the organisation. IIRC, this was what stopped London boroughs allowing it, just leaving the Red Routes which are/were under the control of the mayor.
I honestly don’t know. Bus lanes are a funny one as they can also be used by Taxis. I have a bus lane on an a-road near me & it definitely makes me feel safer. Taxis & motorbikes can use it but as it just reduces traffic in that lane I do feel safer.

I am a member of British cycling as it supports grass roots racing, offers excellent insurance & campaigns on behalf of cyclists. I am sure I don’t agree with everything they do as I still have doubts about how clean the sport is.

I generally don’t have a problem with motorbikes apart from some of the amateur racers who hoon around the Peaks. They seem to be a minority.

The Police generally brief the press, I am struggling to come up with a scenario whereby a drunk driver on the wrong side of the road is not at fault? Perhaps the e-scooter rider threw himself under the car? Let’s be sensible here, everyone comments prior to trial & if it all comes out that the driver was not at fault then I will happily admit my grave error.
Perhaps the scooter rider was high on cocaine. Who knows? Neither you nor me till the case is heard. I'm not coming down on either side till then, while you've nailed your flag firmly to the mast.

Perhaps the scooter rider was high on cocaine. Who knows? Neither you nor me till the case is heard. I'm not coming down on either side till then, while you've nailed your flag firmly to the mast.[/QUOTE

The other person is not alive to give testimony unfortunately.

Perhaps the scooter rider was high on cocaine. Who knows? Neither you nor me till the case is heard. I'm not coming down on either side till then, while you've nailed your flag firmly to the mast.
I think, even if there are findings that the scooter rider isn’t blameless, the fact (reported by media from a police press release AIUI) that the car driver was drunk, and for some reason was on the wrong side of the road, is pretty damning, no matter how you look at it. Even if he’d swerved to avoid a box of kittens, he’s still drunk.

I generally don’t have a problem with motorbikes apart from some of the amateur racers who hoon around the Peaks. They seem to be a minority.
These days many of them are middle aged riders who think they can ride. But modern bikes are faster than they were when they were young, and they are slower than they were. 20 years ago 2/3rds of car/motorbike collisions were found to be the fault of the car drivers, but now there are an awful lot of single vehicle crashes. Riders losing control.,
I used to live in Manchester, so rode the Cat and Fiddle, etc, and enjoyed cornering as fast as I safely could, but within the speed limits and not crossing solid white lines. Which IMO takes more skill than just going as fast as possible. I saved that for trackdays.

A Scottish traffic cop in TV news item remarked on the number of single vehicle motorcycle accidents especially those on left hand bends. The space on right giving riders a false sense of security and riding harder into the bend and losing control.

These days many of them are middle aged riders who think they can ride. But modern bikes are faster than they were when they were young, and they are slower than they were. 20 years ago 2/3rds of car/motorbike collisions were found to be the fault of the car drivers, but now there are an awful lot of single vehicle crashes. Riders losing control.,
I used to live in Manchester, so rode the Cat and Fiddle, etc, and enjoyed cornering as fast as I safely could, but within the speed limits and not crossing solid white lines. Which IMO takes more skill than just going as fast as possible. I saved that for trackdays.
Most riders seem to favour the more upright hybrid bikes or Harley types.

Thought some on here might be educated by the below:

https://road.cc/content/news/father-two-nearly-killed-motorist-issues-warning-285343

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine, driver in question wasn’t prosecuted but sent on an awareness course. The only positive is the large compensation he received but I am sure he would rather the incident never happened.

This is why I think motorists need to be extra careful, as a car driver my attitude to speed & awareness has really changed since I took up pedalling.

Thought some on here might be educated by the below:

https://road.cc/content/news/father-two-nearly-killed-motorist-issues-warning-285343

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine, driver in question wasn’t prosecuted but sent on an awareness course. The only positive is the large compensation he received but I am sure he would rather the incident never happened.

This is why I think motorists need to be extra careful, as a car driver my attitude to speed & awareness has really changed since I took up pedalling.

You're not going to like this, but I know Knight's Hill (A215) well. Whenever I cycled down there the traffic is difficult at the point in question as there is Cheviot Road, Rothschild Road (always quite busy with vehicles in and out and crossing the A215 onto Cheviot Road) and the Self Storage unit that has a lot of traffic in and out. It's on a nice steepish hill and many cyclists fly down there at a huge lick... not me... too much traffic and turning going on there and ergo too easy to have a big accident if a driver is not looking properly. You're right... it's about attitude to speed and awareness.... but that applies to all. Now I am not for one minute saying any of the above is the cyclist's fault, it's 100% on the driver, but I'll bet you a dime to a dollar it is extremely unlikely it would have happened to me at that particular junction and in that manner as I am all too aware what drivers do there and how some are trying to cross without looking properly. As the chap in question was cycling to work I would suspect he uses the road often so I would also have thought he too would be aware of the dangers there from the small percentage of drivers who don't bloody look properly. Of course it may have been one of those freak events where no amount of care would have saved the situation, but .... well I do wonder. Anyway I hope he makes some sort of recovery and IMO the driver got off way too lightly to be honest.

You're not going to like this, but I know Knight's Hill (A215) well. Whenever I cycled down there the traffic is difficult at the point in question as there is Cheviot Road, Rothschild Road (always quite busy with vehicles in and out and crossing the A215 onto Cheviot Road) and the Self Storage unit that has a lot of traffic in and out. It's on a nice steepish hill and many cyclists fly down there at a huge lick... not me... too much traffic and turning going on there and ergo too easy to have a big accident if a driver is not looking properly. You're right... it's about attitude to speed and awareness.... but that applies to all. Now I am not for one minute saying any of the above is the cyclist's fault, it's 100% on the driver, but I'll bet you a dime to a dollar it is extremely unlikely it would have happened to me at that particular junction and in that manner as I am all too aware what drivers do there and how some are trying to cross without looking properly. As the chap in question was cycling to work I would suspect he uses the road often so I would also have thought he too would be aware of the dangers there from the small percentage of drivers who don't bloody look properly. Of course it may have been one of those freak events where no amount of care would have saved the situation, but .... well I do wonder. Anyway I hope he makes some sort of recovery and IMO the driver got off way too lightly to be honest.
Accidents happen, I totally get that but the outcome is massively disproportionate. The fine & points is an insult. One of the issues is that drivers often misjudge the speed of a cycle or rather arrogantly assume the rider will give way if they pull out. Problem is that road bikes can easily do 30+ down hill & bringing a bike to a dead stop is not easy & takes a bit of skill.

We have no idea how much care or otherwise the cyclist took but given the interim compensation it looks like there was no contributory negligence. If it had happened to another car we wouldn’t be having this conversation though & that is the point.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFnoECBoQAg&usg=AOvVaw0XE6WpgP78MofoT75j04pB

Loads of stats available online, most seem to suggest that about 80% of accidents involving bikes are caused by car drivers with only a very small % actually caused by bikers riding too fast.

Accidents happen, I totally get that but the outcome is massively disproportionate. The fine & points is an insult. One of the issues is that drivers often misjudge the speed of a cycle or rather arrogantly assume the rider will give way if they pull out. Problem is that road bikes can easily do 30+ down hill & bringing a bike to a dead stop is not easy & takes a bit of skill.

We have no idea how much care or otherwise the cyclist took but given the interim compensation it looks like there was no contributory negligence. If it had happened to another car we wouldn’t be having this conversation though & that is the point.

To be fair Woodface if it had happened between two cars I doubt there would be any injuries so it's a bit of a moot point. I just believe in defensive road use no matter what my form of transport.

I do think one of the issues that drivers have is that, like you say, they don't realise the speed cyclists can get up to and they also don't get that speed limits do not legally apply to cyclists. I've seen a group of cyclists come through the Lancashire village I used to live in at a good bit over 30mph and they're not breaking any laws doing it but I'll bet a good number of drivers would be shocked at the speed and the law around it. It's basically a lot more education that's needed and people need to learn how to better judge the speed of others. So many drivers are crap at it even when it's another car or truck... motorbikes and cyclists ... forget it, they just seem useless at it. Not sure if it's something that can be taught, but if so it sure needs to be.

To be fair Woodface if it had happened between two cars I doubt there would be any injuries so it's a bit of a moot point. I just believe in defensive road use no matter what my form of transport.

I do think one of the issues that drivers have is that, like you say, they don't realise the speed cyclists can get up to and they also don't get that speed limits do not legally apply to cyclists. I've seen a group of cyclists come through the Lancashire village I used to live in at a good bit over 30mph and they're not breaking any laws doing it but I'll bet a good number of drivers would be shocked at the speed and the law around it. It's basically a lot more education that's needed and people need to learn how to better judge the speed of others. So many drivers are crap at it even when it's another car or truck... motorbikes and cyclists ... forget it, they just seem useless at it. Not sure if it's something that can be taught, but if so it sure needs to be.
Two cars colliding at 30 ish would result in injuries, almost certainly. Whiplash at the very least.

I was hit by another car a few years back, pretty low speed but was hit side on, really severe whiplash which took ages to get over.

We definitely need better infrastructure to encourage people to leave the car at home, I reckon congestion is a massive factor in people adopting risky behaviour. Ignorance is massive, surprising how many people don’t understand that is is ok for cycles/motorbikes to filter through traffic.

Had the in-laws round on Sunday & FiL couldn’t get his head round the proposed changes to the Highway Code. Massive change in mindset is required.

Ignorance is massive, surprising how many people don’t understand that is is ok for cycles/motorbikes to filter through traffic.

There's alot of car drivers really don't like it, I've lost count the amount of times while filtering at very low speeds that I've had car drivers pull across to try to stop me.

advertisement

Back