advertisement

compilation help

graystoke4

pfm Member
hi , first i understand compilation cd's are not held in great esteem, but i don.t really need anymore than this , at the moment, so here goes,
motorhead best of
ACDC best of
t-rex best of
there are so many of these things out there, especially t-rex
so a picture of the cover would be the best resolution i think, thanks for any help

I am not sure what you are after, but I have a Thin Lizzy compilation that I keep in the car. And a Beach Boys comp. as well.

This ticks all the boxes for Motorhead:

R-1947692-1428828127-2560.jpeg.jpg

Not enough from "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" but very good nevertheless.

I could be wrong, but aren’t AC/DC famous for their ani-compilation stance? You might have to lump it with a live album if you want all the hits in one package.

Nope no official AC/DC compilation. A few live albums of which 'If You Want Blood' is very good (but Bon Scott era only). 'Live at the River Plate' has the best overview of tracks and is a cracking Blu-ray too.

there are so many of these things out there, especially t-rex

There were only a few compilations released in Bolan’s lifetime, specifically The Best Of T.Rex, which is the early Tyrannosaurus Rex era stuff, Bolan Boogie, which is the Fly label stuff, and Great Hits, which appears to be deleted and covers the EMI era. These were useful as he was so prolific that huge numbers of tracks only appeared as singles, b-sides etc.

Personally I’d just buy Electric Warrior and The Slider for starters. I’d avoid all the cheesy cash-ins that have appeared since his death anyway.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
really don't want any more than the best of's, not a huge bolan fan but he did make some great music, anymore than 20 tracks would be overkill, same for the rest of my choices,
i am looking for good sound quality though,

The first couple I clicked on at that link (“Hell’s Best” and “Greatest Hell’s Hits”) both say “Unofficial release” next to them.

Sorta, kinda two!
Who Made Who
Iron Man 2 soundtrack

Neither in as many words but effectively yes despite not being definitive...

There were only a few compilations released in Bolan’s lifetime, specifically The Best Of T.Rex, which is the early Tyrannosaurus Rex era stuff, Bolan Boogie, which is the Fly label stuff, and Great Hits, which appears to be deleted and covers the EMI era. These were useful as he was so prolific that huge numbers of tracks only appeared as singles, b-sides etc.

Personally I’d just buy Electric Warrior and The Slider for starters. I’d avoid all the cheesy cash-ins that have appeared since his death anyway.

I’d agree with Tony. Electric Warrior captures T Rex at their best - warm, loose, playful, stealing madly from anyone they loved, and enjoying their moment in the sun before the big guns (Bowie, Roxy) arrived. Nothing before or since goes near this.

If you had to buy a second Bolan recording, personally I’d make it Bolan Boogie. It’s got most of the interesting B-sides (esp. There Was a Time/Raw Ramp), as well as other curios.

Like everything about Bolan, they’re way daft of course - but these were the recordings where the charm continues to carry a residual charge.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back