advertisement

Compact Garrard 401 plinths

Ah, OK, thanks, didn’t know - just assumed they were the same...and have been looking for a cheap 135 as I have a spare 124 plinth :)
Didn't have 124 and 135 at the same time, but I suspect a 135 will fit a 124 plinth, but not the other way round.

Mine is 435 wide, 420 deep and 150 high. Not sure you can make the depth much less than this.

401.jpg

401-2.jpg
How do you find the 750 with the 401?

Works really well, far better than an SME 3009. The 750 is a very well engineered arm, well apart from the shoddy collar. The shuggie collar and spacers really improve the arm.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought this compact plinth from the well-known seller in Moldova for my 401:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=112309631450

I have to say, I'm very impressed with it. OK so it's not a Russ Collinson, but it is compact, nicely finished and is £160 delivered! The only snag is that it's not quite as tall as it could be so you'll need some reasonably chunky feet on it.
Like I said can't see much structural difference between that and a more expensive one, apart from that they don't have removeable armboard, which I would like.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mine is 40cm deep by 49 wide
Bought odd well known auction site in piano Black and does have interchangeable arm site at back right corner

OK, just be aware of the old maxim 'buy cheap, buy twice'. In the strata of hifi spending £250 extra on a nice looking effective plinth is surely worth it?

OK, just be aware of the old maxim 'buy cheap, buy twice'. In the strata of hifi spending £250 extra on a nice looking effective plinth is surely worth it?
Yes well, thats my question, they look great for sure, but i couldn't see how structurally they're that different, both being just solid ply.

Some of us shape the inside of the plinth to fill the space around the motor. It adds weight and IMO creates an area of constant temperature for the motor and bearing after initial warmup.

Mine are always unique to a persons specs and usually involve setting up arm and cart, wether thats any value is down to personal choice and/or ability.

advertisement

Back