advertisement

Compact Cameras

Milan

pfm Member
I currently use a Nikon D50 with an 18-70 Nikkor and a Sigma 75-300 with the occaisional outing for my 24mm Nikkor. This lot can be a little cumbersome to carry around when out with the family.

What I am looking for is a reasonably good compact with a fair optical zoom range that is easy to carry for those short and spontaneous trips where I do not want to be burdoned with the SLR.

I was looking at eithe the Panasonic DCM-TMZ3?? or the Canon Powershot G7 or G9. I am generally taing shots more for memory that art. I prefer to stay digital for the convenience it offers and would like to use a camera that takes SD cards as does the SLR.

Budget would be around $500 - $600 AUD (200 to 250 UKP)

What advice or suggestions from you guys that are for more knowledgable than me.

I bought a compact camera as anything else is pretty much an irrelevance for my ability and tolerence for lugging unnecessary stuff around. Anyway, I've got a G7. This was bought as it felt the most solid, least toy-like of the cameras I could be bothered to look at and would fit in my coat pocket. Pictures seem fit for pupose and camera seems reliable.

Lumix FX55? has the advantage of allowing you to shoot RAW. The LX2 (based on the Leica D-Lux) is a bit pricier an also supports 16:9 or 3:2 or 4:3 aspect.

advertisement

Back