advertisement

Compact Amplifiers

Hoopsontoast

pfm Member
I fancy trying a somewhat more compact amplifier (width) that would fit in an Ikea Kallax unit at 330mm, as an alternative to my Bryston B60. Speakers will be the Tannoy Stirling TWW so somewhat easy to drive and efficient.

Only needs a couple of inputs, a built in DAC would be great but not essential, same with a Phonostage as I have an external one I really like. I have my little Decware Zen SET, the 2Wpc is not not really enough.

Obvious choice is Quad 99/Elite series, I had a 99 Power a good few years ago, which was alright although being used with a pair of Magnepans, so not ideal.
Other stuff I've had is the Sony TA-F3000ES which was alright although I used it with my previous Tannoy Stirling HE and I preferred the Bryston B60 over it so not interested in that again.
Same with the Rega Brio-R and not interested in Cyrus gear.

The Clones Audio 25i looks interesting, other than that I've not seen much else that really takes my fancy.

Any others come to mind? Budget around the £500 or so mark.

March Audio P122 looks good. I have not heard one though. Keith at Purite sells them.

Have you ever tried Linn LK gear, or Meridian 500 series?

Both are truly Kallax sized and sound very good indeed.

If you were a bit nearer, I’d bring a selection of both round for you to have a listen... I will be in Oxfordshire later in the year visiting friends but you may be sorted before that anyway.

^^^+1

Quad Vena, several variants, thoroughly enjoyed my time with the first version into various speakers including ProAc Studio 115

ProJect MaiA - swapped out a Yammy 303 as I wanted a really compact desktop amp at work into Dali Zensor 3, not that I have had a chance to use it for a year.

advertisement

Back