advertisement

Commonwealth Games.

Amazing swim - I love the swimming (and water polo), used to be the only sport (1500m swim) I was any good at.

A Kenyan wins the Men's 100...a First.

Neita looked edgy. Ran better in the SF. If she gets a better start she could knock chunks off her PB.

McColgan - what a race, just watched it through, fantastic stuff!

63 sec last lap..that's a 15.75sec 100m x four times....or 2.6mins/km...oof!!

And a little bit quicker than mum...!

Marvelous McColgan Too!

Noticed she ran in racing flats rather than spikes...may be because her legs are, unsurprisingly, a bit wrecked from a 5k qualification, a 10k and a 5k in the space of a few days.

Great race from Laura Muir, never in doubt.
McColgan great run also, but Chebet...wow...what a finish, blew everyone else into the reeds...

Watching the diving yesterday I was struck by how many competitors felt compelled to share their middle name with the world. If you're called John Smith, I can see the point, otherwise not so much.

I managed to get to the games 4 times. 3 sessions at Athletics and the Gold medal T20 Womens cricket match.

All brilliant - really very good organisation - getting 10's of '000s of people on shuttle buses to/from city centre where even if there was a large queue - it was always moving. Very good cheerful volunteers all over the place and security was thorough and quick too.

Centre of Birmingham has been rammed - great atmosphere everywhere. Only downside - hard to get a meal anywhere - everywhere booked up. The prices at the pop up food village at the stadium verged on the scandalous (I spent nothing there as a result) - but not knowing what the site fees were I am not sure where the money was going.

The live broadcast of the ceremonies start at 3am in my timezone

Nice to see the University again, its not changed that much in 43 years

The live broadcast of the ceremonies start at 3am in my timezone

Nice to see the University again, its not changed that much in 43 years

You should go back and walk around! The university is hugely changed from 10- 12 years ago when I first rocked up to do some schools Xmas holidays workshops. Since then with numerous tours and visits (schools work, 3 offspring uni search tours, some public physics lectures, quite a lot of swimming sessions and 1 daughter has just graduated). When she started 3 years ago they were just embarking on a £500 Million programme of reconfiguring and rebuilds. Those hockey pitches for the games are right by the nearly new 50M pool and sports centre - the old South Car park that was so useful has gone (as has the Gun Barrels pub). The buildings around the Great Hall and tower are all still there.

But...the concrete brutalist buildings? Gone. Quite right too.
Replaced by...a huge new green sloped area that has been created ' the green heart' is running down to the tower.
Engineering, Geography, Chemistry, Library and probably several others - all in new buildings. Big developments of accommodation towards Selly, a lot of that private.
Selly Oak itself rather changed with a new bypass between it and the Uni site. The South Gate only open for a very limited time of day now.
Brand new QE hospital site next door has rearranged the road system somewhat.
The accommodation up in the park is much the same - although there are some extra blocks at the top and off to the side.
And now I understand that the University railway station is also going to be replaced soon with a brand new one (I assume on the same site)

As a native of the city I've been quite surprised by the positive comments Brum has been getting, with the BBC presenters laying it on especially thick. Though maybe they're using the rather looser interpretation, that appears to include Coventry, Sandwell, Wolverhampton, Warwick and even London?

I'm still miffed that the opening ceremony (or the BBC's Sounds of Birmingham programme the other night) omitted Stephen Duffy.

So wonderful to see Pakistan win the gold for javelin even recovering from a elbow injury

And congrats to Sri Lanka on their medals but rather sad that 10 of the 110 athletes absconded

advertisement

Back