advertisement

Coming back to the UK today

Richard Lines

pfm Member
Good Afternoon All,

I flew in to the UK from Naples this afternoon and was confronted with entering the UK for the first time since Brexit.

Having worked out where I was supposed to be I found myself queuing with every other Tom, Dick and Harry from all over the word looking for an internal to the UK connection.

The electronic sign did clearly indicate that there would be two queues one for UK residents and one for everybody else. That's not how it was on the ground as we were all queuing together which was mildly annoying to say the least.

The guy at the desk didn't even bother checking that I had proof of a PCR test or look at my four pages of PTL crap - why do we bother if nobody looks at it?

Fortunately as a seafarer we can dispense with the 2 and 8 day PCR test and 10 day isolation so it isn't all doom and gloom.

Looks like I'll be off to Norway on Monday (did I tell you I love their tax regime?).

Regards

Richard

I came into Basel from Schipol on Monday and nobody checked my passport or Covid info. The only thing they checked was my boarding pass at the gate.

It gets worse. We were stuck on the transit bus for over 30 minutes and are now on the plane. There is no bus available to bring the balance of px to the plane which should have departed 80 minutes ago.

I declined the Naples - Amsterdam - Aberdeen option for this £659 option courtesy of BA.

Still overpriced and certainly underperforming at the moment.

Hopefully they’ll get me home in time for the flight to Norwayland on Monday!!!!

Absolute s**t

Is this getting back to normal?

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

I flew in to the UK from Naples this afternoon and was confronted with entering the UK for the first time since Brexit.

Having worked out where I was supposed to be I found myself queuing with every other Tom, Dick and Harry from all over the word looking for an internal to the UK connection.

The electronic sign did clearly indicate that there would be two queues one for UK residents and one for everybody else. That's not how it was on the ground as we were all queuing together which was mildly annoying to say the least.

The guy at the desk didn't even bother checking that I had proof of a PCR test or look at my four pages of PTL crap - why do we bother if nobody looks at it?

Fortunately as a seafarer we can dispense with the 2 and 8 day PCR test and 10 day isolation so it isn't all doom and gloom.

Looks like I'll be off to Norway on Monday (did I tell you I love their tax regime?).

Regards

Richard
Your mistake w was in coming home. From Naples I would have said "f* it" and stayed .

Schipol to Birmingham last Saturday:

PLP and Covid Test checked at Schipol departure gate. About 10 booths giving the forms a quick check over, but could have input anything. You need to allow a bit of extra time for this, but reasonable fast throughput.

Arrival at Birmingham, no checks (which is logical enough) and straight through electronic passport control.

Used a Randox Day 2 DIY Kit. Slightly odd drop off point within an M6 Toll Road service station. Results within 24hours (assuming they did actually carry out the test).

All in all, a bit of an arse ache, but nothing too arduous.

Does it make sense ? I'm sceptical. It seems like a pantomime when infection rates in the UK are already so high.

Our Covid test results were checked in the US prior to departing, and our PLF was scanned at Heathrow, so enforcement seems patchy. When we dropped off our day 2 kit in the mailbox it was full of test kits. Not sure the 2 day test is useful as we heard some people just don't bother to take it once they are in the UK.

advertisement

Back