advertisement

Coloured vinyl. What you got?

It is certainly puzzling and I don’t trust it! This is just a record I’d know about if it was legit! The www.joydiv.org site, which is pretty good, only makes reference to a US translucent green copy, but that has a FACUS-6 catalogue number and no matrix inscriptions, so isn’t this. I’m convinced that if there was a legitimate UK Factory original issue on green vinyl there would be evidence on Discogs, Popsike etc and it would be very, very valuable as it is clearly rarer than the dark translucent-red 1st press!

The thing that surprises me about the Discogs entry is the cover and inner look good quality. Good enough to be believable. The label is close, but based on the low quality photo just doesn’t quite look right to me (text colour doesn’t look quite right etc). Is yours exactly the same, i.e. heavy matt card for both sleeve and inner?

The outer is heavy matt card, there is no inner, just a white sleeve. I took some photos but I can't get them up on here..it is from Brazil and on the back it says this..."Distribuido no Brasil por Estudio Eldorado Ltda. CGC 43.199.751/0001-91. Licenciado por Stiletto" The word Stiletto is a logo. There is no barcode.

Green Day, Dookie (on green)
Nirvana, Bleach (on white)
Bjork, Post (I think?) (on pink)
Lush, Lovelife (on clear, but wait: comes in a printed vinyl cover and in a clear vinyl outer, no paper or card to be seen, well the label on the LP ...)

Must be more but that is what is in my crumbly old memory banks.

Last edited:
The outer is heavy matt card, there is no inner, just a white sleeve. I took some photos but I can't get them up on here..it is from Brazil and on the back it says this..."Distribuido no Brasil por Estudio Eldorado Ltda. CGC 43.199.751/0001-91. Licenciado por Stiletto" The word Stiletto is a logo. There is no barcode.
It looks like it is a green version of this. There are many colours of this release listed on Discogs but not green, although the green version is mentioned in the listing for this one (hope you are following!)

The two Brazilian releases on Discogs are an early fake followed by a later official release. Mine has the same numbers and tracklisting as the later official release but the label is white not black...hmmmmmmmm!

Oh, worth bugger all, but a wonderful item to have, Aimii Stewart's Knock on Wood on 12" clear vinyl.

I've got loads of recent coloured and marbled vinyl, but it doesn't count as nearly all new stuff comes on coloured vinyl - it was a rare treat back in the 70's.

Amongst others:

a yucky brown CSN&Y Deja Vu

Kate Bush Hounds of Love

Alice Cooper Live in Montreaux

Hawkwind Space Ritual v2 ( disc 2 is orange)

The only "original" coloured record I have is Television's red 12" of Foxhole.
I did have Ian Dury's New Boots and Panties on gold vinyl which was moved on as it had a real "frying tonight" sound quality...dreadful.
A lot of recently bought LP's have no issues at all.
My most welcomed recent editions have been Durutti Columns "Obey the Time...

images

...and Martyn Bennett's "Grit"

GRIT__1000pxls_3d.jpg

I did have Ian Dury's New Boots and Panties on gold vinyl which was moved on as it had a real "frying tonight" sound quality...dreadful.

I did the same with that one (they are all the same)! A shame as its a nice collectable issue of a great album. I’ve just got the bog standard black issue which sounds great.

Definitely a fake! Vinyl colour and dodgy labels aside Love Will Tear Us Apart was never on Closer!
Tony, it was on a Brazilian fake and when they got the licence to issue a legit version it was included on that too...according to Discogs.

Tons of them. The late 80s / early 90s delivered a plethora of limited indie 7" releases on coloured vinyl - mainly white but green was also pretty popular at the time (Wedding Present / Cure / Nirvana / PWEI / Pumpkins etc). Albums tended to stick to black (or occasionally white) from what I remember.

The first time I saw coloured vinyl was on an early 60s 'pop goes the weasel' - spattered paint effect that someone gave me as a child.

The first one I purchased was the pink 'Cool For Cats' 7" by Squeeze.

Nowadays it seems that every new release seems to come on some sort of limited colour...

I've got shed loads of clear and coloured LPs probably around 1,000 and some dating back to late 70s
Also a shed load of coloured 12" singles
Clear and every colour under the sun by now.
Got a few that have kept there smell since 1979
Red vinyl still smells of strawberries .

I've many single and double vinyl pressings of this classic album.
I bought this
81lMmHwYcxL._SX425_.jpg

version when it was released just because I liked the colours and I'm a
bit of a Bob Marley completest
But have to say I was and still am very impressed with the quality of these pressings and the SQ.

advertisement

Back