advertisement

Coloured vinyl. What you got?

I got it wrong...I meant "Closer"

Pretty sure that’s not official either! To my knowledge the only legit coloured vinyl JD issues are (both albums) the original dark translucent red Pye contract pressings, UP the anniversary issue with red vinyl and white cover, and Closer, the white vinyl Manchester Art Gallery issue (I have them all aside from my Closer 1st press is black).

Pretty sure that’s not official either! To my knowledge the only legit coloured vinyl JD issues are (both albums) the original dark translucent red Pye contract pressings, UP the anniversary issue with red vinyl and white cover, and Closer, the white vinyl Manchester Art Gallery issue (I have them all aside from my Closer 1st press is black).
Your comment caused me to check up on discogs...it is legit,

FACT·XXV, FACT. 25 Joy Division Closer ‎(LP, Album, Gre) Factory, Factory FACT·XXV, FACT. 25 UK 1980

I think I should still have Banana Splits by the Dickies on yellow 45 somewhere, and perhaps an Electro Hippies (or was it Ministry) on clear vinyl....I'd have to have a look to be sure though my recollection is that whatever it is it sounded shite.
My better half has got Purple Love Balloon (CUD) on purple vinyl, probably some others too.

Banana Splits 7" on yellow for me too - apparently black is rare

Did have Squeeze's Cool for Cats 7" on pink too but it seems to have gone

Thought I had more old coloured stuff but can't think of any at the minute, just these, half of which are new or reissues from last year

The Bluetones - Return to the Last Chance Saloon - white
Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material - awful noisy pinkish splattered
Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour - clear
Lloyd Cole - Guesswork - blue
Matthew Sweet - Kimi Ga Suki - green
The Lilac Time - Return to Us - purple

Not my pic but the Dilophosaurus coloured Jurassic Park soundtrack is petty neat.

oixHNf9.jpg

Who has the oldest coloured vinyl here? Some 50s Fantasy label jazz was on red vinyl, I saw one in a quid bin ages ago, but it was so trashed I left it there. RCA had colour-coded 7” singles for a while too back in the 50s, each genre had their own colour.

PS I’m letting the side down here, I think my oldest is Television’s Prove It 12” on green vinyl (1977).

my oldest is this beauty, spectacular colouration. 1962.

Captain Paul And The Seafaring Band ‎– I'm Popeye The Sailor Man
Label:
Happy Time Records ‎– 7HT 908
Series:
Big 7 (2)
Format:
Vinyl, 7", 78 RPM, Multicoloured
UK
Released:

One of the best SQ coloured (tri-colour) albums I have. Sounds sweet.
Red/Yellow/Green.

Bob Marley And The Wailers* ‎– Legend (The Best Of Bob Marley And The Wailers)
Label:
Island Records ‎– 060253785436, Tuff Gong ‎– 0602537854363
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered, 30th Anniversary Edition; Red/Yellow/Green
Europe
Released:
27 Jun 2014

This sounds great as well.

Various ‎– Trainspotting (Music From The Motion Picture)
Label:
Parlophone ‎– 0190295919948
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Limited Edition, Reissue, Orange, 180 Gram
UK, Europe & US
Released:
11 Nov 2016

I also have Kraftwerk - Neon Lights (green luminous vinyl) 12" - used to 'excite' the luminescence by using a photograph flash gun, put it up close to the record.

I also have the red Television record.
The Daniel Pemberton recent Man From U.N.C.L.E. soundtrack 2015 - green.
Jackie Brown soundtrack 2016 - yellow
The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing 2018 ltd ed. Marbled silver
Kate Bush- Hounds of Love 2014 audio fidelity remaster - purple marbled (3 copies...)
X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescent - pink
Bjork - Post 2015 pink ltd reissue

Sure there is more before I forget.

Definitely some singles, like Ultravox - The Thin Wall, clear vinyl.

Your comment caused me to check up on discogs...it is legit,

FACT·XXV, FACT. 25 Joy Division Closer ‎(LP, Album, Gre) Factory, Factory FACT·XXV, FACT. 25 UK 1980

That is fascinating and I must admit I’m far from convinced I believe the Discogs entry! I know my Factory stuff pretty well and I’d have certainly thought I’d have heard of this one if it was an original Factory pressing as suggested. I’d also expect it to be worth *way* more than £24, in fact given the ‘common’ black or translucent red original issues with an A1/B1 matrix are prone to go well over £100 I’d expect a legitimate limited edition of the time that is rare enough that I’ve never even heard of it to be £1k or more! I can also find no record of it on Popsike, all the green copies there are pretty obviously fake. How long have you owned it?

I’ve got a few, but my favourites are probably Lou Reed’s Take no prisoners on translucent red and blue and a very old red 16” transcription disc I’ve been unable to play and was tempted to mount and put on the wall.

That is fascinating and I must admit I’m far from convinced I believe the Discogs entry! I know my Factory stuff pretty well and I’d have certainly thought I’d have heard of this one if it was an original Factory pressing as suggested. I’d also expect it to be worth *way* more than £24, in fact given the ‘common’ black or translucent red original issues with an A1/B1 matrix are prone to go well over £100 I’d expect a legitimate limited edition of the time that is rare enough that I’ve never even heard of it to be £1k or more! I can also find no record of it on Popsike, all the green copies there are pretty obviously fake. How long have you owned it?
I purchased it in Stockholm spring 2019...I think I paid about £20 for it or thereabouts. I'll pull it out tonight and do some pictures.

That nails it then (its a fake). Factory Records no longer exists and hasn’t for a decade or more, so if it was legit it would have some additional copyright info, e.g. the white cover Anniversary Edition of Unknown Pleasures has 2015 Warner Music on the label.

I've got loads some notable ones would be the excellent sounding Teldec German The Smiths 12"s;-
Panic (blue)
Ask (clear)
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (red)
Sheila Take A Bow (white)

I've also got a copy of The Queen Is Dead LP from the same country on Green vinyl (suffering from hairlines because of the inner sleeve).

That nails it then (its a fake). Factory Records no longer exists and hasn’t for a decade or more, so if it was legit it would have some additional copyright info, e.g. the white cover Anniversary Edition of Unknown Pleasures has 2015 Warner Music on the label.
Not necessarily...it was sold as a second hand record so could have come from literally anywhere. It did look nice and clean so I bought it.

Not necessarily...it was sold as a second hand record so could have come from literally anywhere. It did look nice and clean so I bought it.

It is certainly puzzling and I don’t trust it! This is just a record I’d know about if it was legit! The www.joydiv.org site, which is pretty good, only makes reference to a US translucent green copy, but that has a FACUS-6 catalogue number and no matrix inscriptions, so isn’t this. I’m convinced that if there was a legitimate UK Factory original issue on green vinyl there would be evidence on Discogs, Popsike etc and it would be very, very valuable as it is clearly rarer than the dark translucent-red 1st press!

The thing that surprises me about the Discogs entry is the cover and inner look good quality. Good enough to be believable. The label is close, but based on the low quality photo just doesn’t quite look right to me (text colour doesn’t look quite right etc). Is yours exactly the same, i.e. heavy matt card for both sleeve and inner?

advertisement

Back