advertisement

Coloured vinyl. What you got?

Nigel

pfm Member
I think I've only got 'Goodbye Yellow Road' in yellow. A pink Stones 'Miss You.' Judas Priest 'Killing Machine" in red, Kraftwerk "Neon Lights" in luminous. Coloured vinyl looks so cool. Am I correct in thinking it's not supposed to sound as good as standard black?

There were rumours that it was softer than standard black, never knew if that was correct though.
Another Goodbye... in yellow
Rainbow - Down To Earth clear

Spoon "Hot Thoughts" in maroon
Pixies "Beneath the Eyrie" in clear
Van Morrison "Three Chords And The Truth" in marble grey (i think it's supposed to be silver)
Bebop Deluxe "Live In The Air Age" in white
there are others, old and new, that I can't recall at the moment.

I've got quite a few coloured vinyl LPs . Don't think they generally sound any worse than black vinyl.
Latest is the 50th Anniversary 'Space Oddity' on silver vinyl.

Far too much with new releases. I try to get black vinyl whenever I can but it is roving more and more difficult. (And I know black is coloured - I just prefer it aesthetically.)

I've coloured vinyl by Wilco, Bjork, Solange, Big Thief, GoGoPenguin amounts others.

One problem with coloured for my older eyes is trying to cue up tracks - I jus can't see where they are.

Kevin

I have quite a few including the first Faust LP (clear), Yellow Submarine (Yellow), White Album (White), some rather wonderful Ryko Bowie LP's (translucent green). Regarding sound quality, the best LP I have ever heard on someone else system was a mid 60's Jazz album on yellow vinyl; it sounded stunning.

More than I can remember off the top of my head, the most recent acquisition being the 12 LP box of 'XX' by Ufomammut, which has red, gold, green, grey, white, clear, clear red, purple and black as a range of colours. I am still working my way through it but they have all sounded great so far, with no drop in quality between the black one and the others played.

Loads, small runs of coloured vinyl seems to be a feature of the music/labels I tend to buy - I also collect various versions of each for some bands. Not noticed any correlation between coloured or black and sound quality. I do have one that is split radially into 3 colours and you can hear when stylus moves from one colour to next.

A fair few here, far more than I’ll be able to remember, but for starters: Devo Are We Not Men on splatter vinyl, Police Outlandos on blue, Television Adventure on red (plus some coloured 12” singles), White Stripes Elephant on red & white, an Acid Mothers Temple Absolutely Freak Out double with one black one red, Circle Prospekt double with one black one green, Piano Magic Low Birth Weight on brown, Holgar Hiller As Is on clear (with clear cover), Causa Sui translucent yellow, a couple of Minutemen albums on blue and green, Tad 8-Way Santa on yellow, Flaming Lips Yoshimi red, Mugstar Centralia blue, Radiohead King Of Limbs clear & Moon Shaped Pool white, Porcupine Tree Voyage 34 white, Durutti Column Another Setting RSD issue black clear, GoGo Penguin V2.0 clear, the Manchester Art Gallery Closer and Power Corruption And Lies on white & brown (I think, they are both still sealed!), Big Star #1 Record on Classic Records milky clear audiophile stuff. There will be a fair number more in there, plus 7” & 12” singles too.

PS I’m not counting stuff in the shop, e.g. I have the Yellow Brick Road and a few other bits and bobs including two copies of TheAudience album (which is a truly amazing translucent glitter vinyl!).

Last edited:
Also worth noting that black vinyl is coloured vinyl, the black colouring is added, initially to make records look more like 78s!

I have a white vinyl 12” pressing of Bela Lugosi’s dead from the original pressing batch on Small Wonder Records (I checked with Discogs and it has Gerry’s Townhouse Runoff Inscription in the matrix). I think it is a pretty wonderful artefact to have.

I don’t have many things but that was gifted to me by an ex.

Last edited:
I have a few including Jimi Hendrix at the BBC in Purple double vinyl but only 3 of the 4 sides are recorded on. It should have a sticker saying "Do not play when drunk" It sounds OK as does the Beatles "White" album as it is a DMM set of discs

Hardly any I think as I try to avoid them. I do have Joni Mitchell's Blue on Blue vinyl that seemed appropriate, but sounds terrible in in comparison to my two original pressings and the 2000 CD mastered from the original tapes by Joe Gastwirt. Pretty though! :D

It's fun to clean a clear record on the NG record cleaning machine, 'cause I can see the fluid being vacuumed away.

I really struggle grading some translucent or clear coloured vinyl and view picture discs as all but impossible to the extent I usually end up stating I can’t really grade them. Just so hard to spot scratches, scuffs, hairlines etc.

Coloured/clear vinyl was sometimes used by the better bootleg labels in the seventies to prove they'd used virgin vinyl.

I have an ancient TMOQ issue of Hendrix - Broadcasts on green vinyl. It's fairly pointless as it's all been issued officially now in far higher fidelity but I hang on to it as a pleasing period piece :)

Blimey, I need to look through the collection. The first which comes to mind is Leviation on blue vinyl.

advertisement

Back