advertisement

coloured\picture Vinyl

sadcafe

pfm Member
Which is your favourite\worst coloured or picture vinyl release. I have a fondness for Aryeon into the electric castle on white and Rainbow eyes of the universe on clear (sounds bad though). I can remember some shocking PIC discs and colours over the years. Any suggestions?

I can't think of any picture disc which sounds even close to as good as its black vinyl counterpart (where a black vinyl version is available). My least favourite being the one for 'Lateralus' by Tool: such a great album and such a sucky sounding vinyl release (the picture disc one being the only official vinyl available). Coloured vinyl is a different matter and I have some really great sounding ones of those (though some bad ones, too). 'Betty's Blends' by the Chris Robinson Brotherhood is a really nice one, both in terms of sound and appearance.

My favourites are the insanely busy designs on the 7" singles by Goodiepal which featured things like Chupa Chups logos because (I believe) he was working on advertising jingles at the time and recycled the music (but you can quite never tell with Goodiepal). There are five in the set: Statoil, Hitachi, Carlsberg, Chupa Chups and B&O.

mainpal_chupachups_lp1.jpg

Historically, the pink Teenage Jesus 12" and the luminous Kraftwerk 12" were the first coloured records I bought and the TJ one remains a favourite because it looks good and the music is still great.

Here's my Teenage Jesus LP long before I upgraded my cartridge

image.php

Does anyone knows why coloured/picture vinyls sound worse than the black ones?
and has anyone compared the MOV releases of Faith No More's King for a day...(black & red)?

Does anyone knows why coloured/picture vinyls sound worse than the black ones?
and has anyone compared the MOV releases of Faith No More's King for a day...(black & red)?

Not sure that coloured sound worse. If they are worse it's just that they're worse pressings, not because they are coloured.

I have barely any coloured records, but do have Steve Hillage Green on the green vinyl and Caravan Land of Grey and Pink Live on pink vinyl.

Had the Curved Air picture disc. No idea how it sounded (OK on the Dansette). Like so many, nicked at Uni.

I have them a lot: 5 albums of The Mars volta, The Residents, 2 by the Alt-J, 4 by the Husker Du, Butthole surfers, Brain donor, The Cramps (picture), White zombie... but unfortunately I can't answer the poster's question which one is my favourite or worst since I have never compared them to the black ones :) (I guess favourite/worst refers to the sounding).

Not sure that coloured sound worse. If they are worse it's just that they're worse pressings, not because they are coloured.

usually people say that the coloured/pictured vinyls sounds worse than the black ones. I have no experiences with that so I cannot tell

usually people say that the coloured/pictured vinyls sounds worse than the black ones. I have no experiences with that so I cannot tell

I believe the criticism is specifically aimed at picture disks. And I think (suspect) that it has to do with the manufacturing process of embedding the image. I think plain colour is fine - unless perhaps they are using inappropriate materials to colour the vinyl. Not sure about the craze for splatter effects, though and that might affect the process.

advertisement

Back