advertisement

Collection Sorting Questions

I think seeing Zorn on the South Bank Show as a teenager - in an apartment seemingly constructed from records! - was quite a formative experience.

Wzw5xlJ.png

Really, you just need to pick a system that works for you (ie you can remember it). Mine is split into genres and country of release (US/UK/Europe), then indie labels by catalogue number and major labels alphabetically by group name or artist surname, divided by year of release. That's for electronic dance and house 12", other genres and albums are simply alphabetical by artist name. It's a bit convoluted but that's how it's evolved and I'm familiar with it.

Mine are stored roughly in genres but in no order within the genres, then the Jazz is split up into Blue Note, Impulse!, other labels, box sets, and vocal jazz. A bit random but I know where I to find them, maybe if I had thousands it would be worth having a proper system.

I think if a stage name is taken as a conventional surname then you file under that i.e Elton John is under J. Iggy under P. And Bowie under B.

My copy resides in a segment of my collection loosely unlabelled as ‘Hip Hop.’

Past that point, I don’t keep records in alphabetical order. It would hurt my head too much.

It doesn’t give the full answer but segmenting by genres or types (eg male vocal) can help

For those of you with a healthy collection of 12” singles (like me) - would I be right in assuming that you keep the 12” singles separately from the LPs - not mixed together? Or maybe not……..:D

It doesn’t give the full answer but segmenting by genres or types (eg male vocal) can help

For those of you with a healthy collection of 12” singles (like me) - would I be right in assuming that you keep the 12” singles separately from the LPs - not mixed together? Or maybe not……..:D

12” Singles in separate boxes. Same with 7” Singles. L.P’s on shelves and in boxes.

I vaguely have genre groupings, but I am not formal about where records live. I have a box of ‘recently played’ records (about 100) and that box contents is changing frequently. There might be a few 12” Singles in there.

I don't have too many 12" but I keep them in vague date sequence with the albums. 7" I separate out

I think if a stage name is taken as a conventional surname then you file under that i.e Elton John is under J. Iggy under P. And Bowie under B.

I think Elton John should be under J, but Iggy under I. When managing my digital collection, the first two stooges albums are grouped under Iggy Pop, but on vinyl they are under The Stooges. I just roll that way.

7" singles are in two big boxes - 'Disco in a Box' and 'Everything else'. The 'Disco in a Box' is exactly that - you can dip in at random and every side is a dance floor killer - mainly rare 60's and 70's soul and funk. The discs are roughly grouped by label.

The 'Everything Else' box is completely disordered and has loads of Crass Records 7"s, a Ted Nugent promo and Eye of the Tiger in it, so to be treated with caution. Bizarrely, the Eye of the Tiger 7" is one of the best sounding records I have ever heard.

I think Elton John should be under J, but Iggy under I. When managing my digital collection, the first two stooges albums are grouped under Iggy Pop, but on vinyl they are under The Stooges. I just roll that way.

It did occur to me that Mr Osterberg should be under S just as John Lennon is under B and Marc Bolan is under T.

Madness.

Under M obvs.

Unless it's a Suggs solo record when it is under S!

And no not Graham McPherson clever clogs.;)

(Lennon under L and Bolan under B; though with the latter I'd allow under T if pushed)

And Bryan Ferry under F before you ask!

advertisement

Back