Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coincidence?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Weiss-Man, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Bloody hell.
    Talked last night about selling up in France to my wife.
    This morning log on and estate agents top and bottom!

PhilofCas likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Came off the loo one morning to find pfm ad's for stools (kitchen type) (sorry, not true, but just to lower the tone).

deebster and PhilofCas like this.
  3. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Yeah, same here after browsing a few argumentative threads.

What is Royal Dickweed anyway? :D

Mike Reed likes this.
  4. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

I’m getting ads for T-shirt’s today, that’s not in line with any of today’s browsing!

5. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Referring to the OP @Weiss-Man , anyone wanna buy a lovely T2 campervan with roof conversion...

6. Weiss-Man

Weiss-Man pfm Member

One day yes, but not at moment unfortunately!! Sssssh, they’re listening!!

7. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

I was talking about getting a winning lottery ticket.. well I didn’t get one.

8. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

For a while it has been various kinds of Porsches, which is definitely very pfm (although not me in the slightest.) But suddenly I've got this, and I really haven't a clue what it is or what it's for, unless it's some kind of truss.

[​IMG]

...ah, we've gone back to Porsches again now. I imagine it will be Rolexes soon.

9. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

Or exclusive, very expensive HiFi.

The weirdest I've got was one where I, supposedly, should be very interested in something Benny Andersson (ABBA) said. Supposedly. Didn't dare click on it.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Someone made a balls-up there !:)

Close, but it could be a reinforced sporran for delicate Scots.

TheDecameron likes this.
  11. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

This has just popped up on my YouTube suggestions, our dog has done a lot of barking for a month or so now and just recently my wife had Googled ‘why does a dog bark’.

12. cobbers

cobbers pfm Member

I take it none of you have got an Alexa or anything of the sort;)
    Wouldn't give anything like it houseroom:mad:

13. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

we love ours, got 4 of em here.

14. Amormusic

Amormusic pfm Member

Phones definitely listen to you. I have no doubt of this.

My most obvious example was we were on holiday in little village in Devon two years ago. Did a day trip with the kids to a theme park - one of the rides had a mobile elevated scissor platform next to it. Back in our digs that evening we were discussing our day and I commented to my Mrs that the ride must break down a lot to have a MEWP next to it.

Woke up the next morning and personalized adverts do you need to hire MEWP in tiny village that we were in

15. mansr

mansr Objectionist

If phones really were listening to conversations, you'd be getting A LOT more of this. Why would they go to all the trouble of building such a system, then use it only for really obscure things?

Cheese likes this.
  16. Amormusic

Amormusic pfm Member

You've missed my point I feel. I am getting very specific advertising for a lot more things.

This is just such a niche and very specific example, it was totally clear it was from being listened to.

Mewp hire is pricey and as an advertising stream has a high revenue (in a prev life I worked in advertising field), so it's not obscure... The company advertising the mewp would have been paying good money somewhere to be advertised. It's just nuts that your phone is listening and pushing specific advertising based upon what it's heard.

17. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

You might want to read my post on the page before, and tell me the difference between this and your case ?

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/coincidence.259531/page-2#post-4476604

18. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Since the ad mentioned the village, it was obviously geographically targeted there for some reason. Maybe that theme park uses them enough that such advertising seems worthwhile. You were there, and that, perhaps along with something else in your ad profile, was enough that you got targeted.

19. Amormusic

Amormusic pfm Member

Not a coincidence IMO. Not even close. As for the first query. Not remotely like that example. No WiFi for a start. Just me and Mrs discussing, in cabin we'd rented. No one else. Next morning specific advert.

As for the second one. Mmm a random mewp advert in the tiny location we were, less than 12 hours after I'd been discussing this. I've never ever had a mewp advert (why would I, I've no need to hire one), so to get such a massive and specific cooincidence is very unlikely.

This is my last post on this topic, but I've experienced this multiple times with very specific things. It is absolutely definitive IMO that phones listen in and we get specific advertising off the back of it.

PhilofCas likes this.
  20. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

OK then.