advertisement

Cocteau Twins - Quite Funny

Uncle Ants

I'm a Shop Keeper
Plenty of luck in the cahrity shop yesterday. Auntie bought what appears to be most of the U2 back catalogue on vinyl (she has it on tape and CD, but she couldn't resist) andan album of Icicle Works singles. I bought a Hank Williams album :rolleyes: .

Anyway, there was a Cocteau Twins album there - Victorialand. The Cocteaus always passed me by but Auntie is a big fan and persuaded me to invest. Got home, - she went up to her office and I gave it a spin. Gorgeous, haunting,ambeint stuff - really nice.

Paula came back donwstairs looked at me a bit funny as I told her I rather liked it and informed me that I'd been playing it at the wrong speed ... and hadn't noticed it was in fact a 45 :eek:

It was nice at the right speed as well ... but can't help thinking I preferred it running slow :)

I do that too. I have a few records that I've never actually managed to work out what the "right" speed may be, and a couple of records of lock grooves by Non/Boyd Rice that are designed to be played at any speed, and also have more than one spindle hole, so you can play them off-centre...

-- Ian

sideshowbob said:
I do that too. I have a few records that I've never actually managed to work out what the "right" speed may be, and a couple of records of lock grooves by Non/Boyd Rice that are designed to be played at any speed, and also have more than one spindle hole, so you can play them off-centre...

-- Ian

Daddio you is a mentalist!

Cheers

Rich

OH no, I like the cocteau twins, but I do know what you mean.
IMHO, the album heaven or las vegas is great. A real feel-good album for me.
Its even worth a try at 33rpm (the right speed, I think!)
matt

Ha - I thought I was the only one who couldn't tell if some albums are 33 or 45. Some of the DJ mix albums / ambient are really tough to tell and I couldn't find info online to help!

I played Victrorialand at 33 for so long, I've ended up preferring it at that speed, 45 just sounds too rushed now.

Your kidding - it's a 45?!! Hmmm, I've never heard it at that speed - and won't unless I get a Lingo. Really?? You're messing right? Well sh*t. I always thought it was a bit moody.

Dan

advertisement

Back