advertisement

Cocaine submarine

I read about this idea being used to smuggle drugs into the US a couple or so years back. I didn't read the link but the commonest version back then was to fit a sealed "cover" and hatch to a small inshore fishing boat or similar and to drop the loaded "submarine" from a cargo ship, or to tow it to a drop-off point or suchlike.

I read about this idea being used to smuggle drugs into the US a couple or so years back. I didn't read the link but the commonest version back then was to fit a sealed "cover" and hatch to a small inshore fishing boat or similar and to drop the loaded "submarine" from a cargo ship, or to tow it to a drop-off point or suchlike.
Right....my schoolboy interest was piqued (not by the sniff!) and I could not find a mini sub with a range of more than a couple of hours. I assume the new short range ones will be battery powered.

Considering it has a Diesel engine for power it must have spent nearly all its time on the surface.

Hi,
These were developed during WWII, they were 16m in length.
If you check how they were towed to their target their range was quite far under their own power.
I have been to the two wrecks at Aberlady Bay many times and still and amazed at how small these are when you stand next to them.
The one in the OP's original post was 20m long and some 70+ years later, and I assume more advanced.
Cheers
John

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-class_submarine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narco-submarine

Considering it has a Diesel engine for power it must have spent nearly all its time on the surface.

I think the name submarine includes quite a bit of poetic licence and sensationalism. The ones that I read about a while back were not intended to be more than only just sub-surface.

The narco-sub link refers to them being "nearly fully submersible".

I think the name submarine includes quite a bit of poetic licence and sensationalism. The ones that I read about a while back were not intended to be more than only just sub-surface.

The narco-sub link refers to them being "nearly fully submersible".
So they are basically snorkling?

It's not a submersible, it's a SEMI submersible - basically most of its' tonnage below the waterline, giving a stealthy cross-section to radar, and significantly reduced chances of spotting one. That exhaust would probably not have been the quietest thing on record and would have given the craft a poor heat signature. It wouldn't surprise me to learn it was wholly diesel powered, with no battery use at all.

As they said in the article, there was supposed to be a rendezvous with a second vessel to transfer the cargo, which didn't happen, and the crew scuttled her and attempted to escape. I suspect if they'd rv'd, there would have been transfers of drugs and diesel for the return trip, and the boat wouldn't have ventured inshore at all.

Not sure I would want to check in with my boss too soon if I had just sunk 3 tonnes of charlie. Prison sounds like the better option.

what a regressive waste of time. this is yet another drug that costs society WAY,WAY less if legalized.

proper journalists should repeat that AND they should not present the police propaganda photos of seizures.

you'd think a guardian journalist would at least have seen "the wire" by now.

[QUOTE="you'd think a guardian journalist would at least have seen "the wire" by now.[/QUOTE]

yes, I'd be surprised if he wasn't wired after reporting on a 3 tonne coke seizure :p

I'm amazed at the depths some people can sink.:D

what a regressive waste of time. this is yet another drug that costs society WAY,WAY less if legalized.

I've just read that the cannabis liberalisation programs in Canada are failing; mainly because legal dope costs more that black market dope. Something went wrong there, it appears.

advertisement

Back