1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coca Cola, racism, facebook

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richardg, Jun 30, 2020.

1. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Interesting that Coca Cola has pulled its advertising on facebook, saying that it needs to clear racism off its pages. Yet Coca Cola cannot even clear it out off one page:

[​IMG]

Coca Cola:
    Building a better future means joining together as we move forward. We are donating to

@100blackmen
    as a part of the effort to end systemic racism and bring true equality to all. This is just a first step. #BlackLivesMatter'

Response from luddite on Coke's twitter feed:
    'And when will there be action against racism against white people, against neo-Marxism, against racial mixing, against migration, against the destruction of Europe and culture? Systemical destruction!'

KrisW likes this.
  2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Maybe Coca-Cola could do something about the world-wide obesity epidemic, which is an area in which they must shoulder a large part of the blame.

3. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Careful - obeseism will not be tolerated!

Tarzan and GruntPuppy like this.
  4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m delighted to see the global ‘stop funding hate’ movement taking on Facebook, Twitter etc. Sure, CocaCola dropped the ball in not moderating their own page, but we don’t know how long that shit was up, and the big picture is they are pulling a huge amount of funding from Zuckerberg which might help him understand he shouldn’t be publishing racist far-right shit. Levis, North Face and many others have done similar.

This is the best way IMO. Just complain to advertisers who advertise on platforms that give shit like Trump, Katie Hopkins, Yaxley Lennon, Farage and other racists air-time. They will always follow the money as they are just businesses. If there is no money in fascism they won’t promote it. It has had an impact in the UK with our racist far-right tabloids too, they have lost many advertisers and we should all put pressure on the ones that remain.

Nick_G, Wolfmancatsup, sean99 and 6 others like this.
  5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

Just Say No to animosity towards adiposity.

Nick_G, sean99, GruntPuppy and 2 others like this.
  6. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

In fairness, Coca Cola has no control over what Twitter considers to be the top response to its post. At least in this case it's actually funny (and makes Coke look like the good guy, which is a feat in itself)

Twitter isn't a flat space; it tries (and largely fails) to contextualise the information it shows, and that means that it does choose posts to highlight based on its own special rules. One thing that matters is the path you took to get to that post - if someone reposted that, when you click it, you will see any replies from people who interact with the re-poster highlighted. Another is your own previous interaction history. No, I'm not suggesting you're a racist; the contrary, in fact, Twitter deliberately tries to find opposing views to what it thinks are yours, because conflict drives engagement. Users generate more "new content" by arguing with each other than agreeing.

Here's the direct link:https://twitter.com/CocaCola/status/1268176865967169537 , compare what you see when logged in and when logged out.

That's why I don't use Twitter.

7. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Well, I do, but only for funny clips involving cats.

8. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

I think it is good news overall....however, they all depend on each other one way or the other. So one nasty corpoate having a crack at another nasty corporate is also likely to generate some kind of retaliation, as well as a public conciliatory response, non?

9. Kirk

Kirk pfm Member

And their plastic problem.

martin clark and GruntPuppy like this.
  10. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

hell yes, we should taxing the life out of plastic tat users, retailers and maufacturers

Kirk likes this.
  11. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

They do Coke Zero

13. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Unilever has also pulled. It would be good if Proctor & Gamble take their money away it will have real impact.

Facebook & Google is a duopoly, they are killing the commercial market which is having a huge effect on the ability of media to provide content.

Worldwide action is required for them to pay up, they must directly contribute to content providers. It is more than just getting them to pay tax.

14. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

....and poisen you with disgusting tasting artificial sweeteners.

Brian and Kirk like this.
  15. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

#obese lives fatter

:rolleyes:

djftw likes this.
  16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It was a joke, no need to take things so seriously. I have a solution, don’t buy the product;)

Jimin and djftw like this.
  17. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Don't worry, I was joking too - well, up to a point: artificial sweeteners are truly disgusting - and I'd rather drink water.

Jimin and Fatmarley like this.
  18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I’d rather have a drink sweetened with sugar than aspartame for my health.

MikeMA and Big Tabs like this.
  19. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

MikeMA and Tarzan like this.
  20. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

I mean “luddite” as twitter handle, obviously a Poe :rolleyes: