advertisement

Close to the Edge CD sound quality

SteveT

I played my copy of the aforementioned yesterday for the first time in years and it sounded muddy and somewhat incoherent in places. I had been listening to some Debussy earlier and Kenny Burrell (thanks Tony) and all seemed fine but Yes sounded very No! Which is the definitive mix to go for?

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

SteveT

The word is (excuse the Yes pun) that the Rhino cds are bad and the first issue cds are better.
Mind you, your ears will have been attuned to the smooth vibes of Debussy so Yes will have come as a shock to the system (sorry another one,...) especially on CTTE.

The Steven Wilson Mix is the best digital version. Although he made the fatal eror of leaving Jon Anderson on it. IMHO, of course. ;-)

The Rhino CD's are a bit toppy, but perfectly listenable and far from a horrorshow.

I bought the Steven Wilson mixes of CTTE, Relayer and The Yes Album 5 years ago and haven't listened to anything by the band again until today. Whilst they appeal far less to me at 47 than they did at 17, they're not as cringy as I had recalled. The Yes Album and Fragile are my favourites, although I have a soft spot for the first two, too. All well worth buying on nice early vinyl. I have the Yes Album on plum and the others up to Relayer on early green/orange.

I’ve got two, having bought a second because the first was so horribly bright and harsh. The bad one (to my ears) is Atlantic 7567-82666-2, Digitally Remastered By Joe Gastwirt (who he?) But In Upper Case And Even Bigger Upper Case, and the better one is Elektra/Rhino 8122-73790-2, with bonus tracks and a booky-wook.

The original Atlantic issues sound fine to me, the ones with a silver label and a red outer-ring, usually West German or Japan for EU pressings. The Rhino remasters are dreadful IMO, an object lesson in how to absolutely trash a recording, as apparently is the expensive Japanese SACD set. The Gastwirt Fragile is good (the original Atlantic issue has pitch and noise issues, maybe an old copy master), but other than that original all the way for me with the caveat that I’ve not heard the well liked and expensive Steve Hoffman Audio Fidelity or the Steve Wilson rewriting of history.

PS With all this sort of stuff I do not want some later reimagining or revisionism, just for it to sound how first press vinyl did on a great system. It all goes wrong when now long-deaf rock musicians try to recreate memories of their once young ears with brickwall compression and horribly boosted EQ etc. No need to repaint the Sistine Chapel with dayglow poster paint.

/snip just for it to sound how first press vinyl did on a great system.

The Steve Wilson box sets (at least the Blu Ray versions which is what I have) include needle drops of an original UK first press album along with a flat transfer of the original stereo mix. I will admit I have not listened to those versions in depth but the DR Loudness Wars web site suggests they might be okay.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions which are much appreciated. I have the Rhino version. Not sure that I am going to make it a priority to replace it as has already been mentioned musical tastes change over time and this once revered piece has lost some of its bloom for me I am sad to say.

advertisement

Back