advertisement

Clive James RIP

Bloody norah everyone's popping their clogs. I better not go the kareoke incase Trump's next and I miss paying my commiserations.

Yet another character passes away. I used to enjoy his TV reviews and his wry sense of humour. Last time I saw him on telly his illness was clearly affecting him but he was determined to carry on working.

Oh no! That's more really sad news. I enjoyed his writing, and his TV shows, especially the ones with Margarita Pracatan.

I believe he'd been ill for a long time. Rip Clive, you were a great bloke.

Bugger, what a day it's been.

The volumes of autobiography are very, very funny - especially the first one.

With Nancy Banks-Smith one of the best TV critics of all time.

Blimey. This is worse than that Christmas a couple of years ago when they were all popping off. If I were a sleb over 55 I'd be stopping in and avoiding all steps and electrical repairs until at least tomorrow.

The early volumes of memoirs were very good & funny. Of course in the mid-70s you went straight to the back page of the Observer where Clive's TV reviews were the best thing in the paper and difficult to read without laughing out loud. I never thought the TV TV progs were really as good. Some of the best things he did, for me, were the lyrics to the Pete Atkin songs in the early 70s which are absolutely superb. The LPs still sound great on vinyl btw. The worst things were the 'literary satires' of the same era which rightly earned him a reputation as a bit of a pseud with Private Eye.

Sad indeed though it’s been coming for a while.

I constantly return to his collections of TV criticism, the crystal bucket, and visions before midnight. Maybe you had to watch the shows, but the criticism is laugh out loud funny and immensely serious in a way only Clive can write.

A sad loss and another hero gone.

Very sad to read this. His books and more recently the audio books have been a great joy over the years. Given how ill he has been at times, he had made a good age, but no time is right to lose such an interesting and amusing guide. RIP.

Always worth listening to (though I must admit I'd not seen or heard much recently). Seemed a thoroughly nice and very intelligent person.

He made the kind of TV programmes you watched from beginning to end without nipping out for a brew.

A gentleman and a genius, thank you for what you gave us.

RIP Clive.

advertisement

Back