advertisement

"Clever" CD storage?

My daughter was quite ferociously struck on the head by a falling IKEA Gnedby or similar. Once recovered she appeared to be no more daft than before...

My daughter was quite ferociously struck on the head by a falling IKEA Gnedby or similar. Once recovered she appeared to be no more daft than before...

That's why they come with hardware to screw them to the wall.

Afternoon all,

I used to store CD's in 2 Stands Unique 180 capacity racks stacked on top of each other, they matched the racks I use...I think these are the ones RodRat mentioned, they came in single (60), 3 (180) or 5 (300) columns wide, adding shelves took the 180 up to 216 if my memory serves me which also allowed for different size CD boxes or DVD's. After some re-decoration there wasn't room for them and so the research started...in the end I found a cool little company in London that makes furniture including CD racks :

https://www.untothislast.co.uk/collections/shelving-step-shelving

They look great and offer easy access to the CD's so I ended up with the largest oval unit on the wall which I think is only held up with 2 fixings...I appreciate in your opening post you did say that wall fixings could be an issue so it might rule this one out but they make other storage units which might be interesting and/or an option. The only issue with the company was that to save the planet they don't ship...a great idea but it did necessitate 2 trips into London !

I still have the 2 Stands Unique racks collecting dust as I haven't got around to selling them yet, if you want any pictures or information on them drop me a message.

Swifty.

Get an Ikea Billy bookcase (size and finish to suit) secondhand, get some chipboard or MDF, and make inserts (like a step) to give you two rows of storage. Adjustable shelves so you can move them where you want. Job jobbed.

I went to a local carpenter (Richard?) and asked him to make me one from oak. Holds 500+ CDs and is a nice looking bit of furniture too.

These worked well for me. I screwed 4 of them together and then a l-shape bracket on top of one of them to the wall to prevent it falling. Looks very neat and holds '00s for little cost and effort.
They come with metal link connectors now to join them at the top.

advertisement

Back