advertisement

"Clever" CD storage?

Question for the people who use CD wallets - what happens to the back cover of the CD and what do you do with CD45s where the cover is bigger than that for an album?

I've been trying to sell a CD storage tower on fb marketplace, PM me if interested ;-)

835mm high, 300 deep and 175 wide

237201805_10159292118608820_944231340520514194_n.jpg
That's nice! Looks like real wood and would not ruin the look of a living room.

I’d avoid ‘CD wallet’ type storage at all costs unless you have simply awful taste in music that no one will ever be interested in the future. My guess is CD as a format is right at the bottom of the market at present, yet even so there are already huge numbers of very collectable titles and pressings across all genres. Certainly if you have any nice Japanese or early West German pressings then don’t lose their cases. Collectors know which ranges should have which case types and huge amounts of value will be lost by separating the discs and inserts from the cases, even more so as so often the back tray insert gets creased. With some titles you really will go from £10-50 or so to a couple of quid if that. As a dealer I don’t even want to take in collections in Case Logic like folders even if they are free, they just have no resale value.

My prediction is CD values will start to radically increase as nostalgia for the format kicks in just as it has for our generation with vinyl and cassette. As I say it is already, certain collectable early pressings are already worth very good money and I’m stockpiling!

Life has not been the same for me CD-wise since IKEA ceased production of their GNEDBY CD shelving unit. If my memory serves me correctly that was a replacement for a very similar model that was of a bit better build quality.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I lean towards those 3L sleeves and boxes to put on an existing bookshelf, but I take to heart what @Tony L said about retaining cases.

Also, I took an inventory and, given that it's a young collection (my large collection built up over years is still in the US), actually only a minority of discs are in jewel cases. Most are in cardboard sleeves, gatefold cases, or digipaks. Needless to say, I wouldn't mutilate those to fit them into the 3L sleeves. But, they take up less space anyway, so a mixed solution might be ok.

Anyway, no decision has been made yet.

I’d avoid ‘CD wallet’ type storage at all costs unless you have simply awful taste in music that no one will ever be interested in the future. My guess is CD as a format is right at the bottom of the market at present, yet even so there are already huge numbers of very collectable titles and pressings across all genres. Certainly if you have any nice Japanese or early West German pressings then don’t lose their cases. Collectors know which ranges should have which case types and huge amounts of value will be lost by separating the discs and inserts from the cases, even more so as so often the back tray insert gets creased. With some titles you really will go from £10-50 or so to a couple of quid if that. As a dealer I don’t even want to take in collections in Case Logic like folders even if they are free, they just have no resale value.

My prediction is CD values will start to radically increase as nostalgia for the format kicks in just as it has for our generation with vinyl and cassette. As I say it is already, certain collectable early pressings are already worth very good money and I’m stockpiling!

Already happening, Tony. I already have a lot of CDs worth North of £50.

I think this is good advice. Sadly in my case there's simply no space to keep everything in it's jewel case. Anything that is a bit special gets left in it's original case but most other stuff goes into a wallet. For example I have a ton of Naxos classical CDs. I'd be really surprised if these were ever worth more than a few quid!

Question for the people who use CD wallets - what happens to the back cover of the CD and what do you do with CD45s where the cover is bigger than that for an album?

The back cover of the CD goes in the wallet. In the case of the 3L sleeves the outer spine is folded over along the perforation (which makes it a bit easier to locate CDs if they're filed on a wall shelf with spine facing out).

It's a bit clunky as the booklet is obviously much smaller.

IMG-20210919-141611.jpg

Argos also has something similar. My concern with those is small children pulling them over. As mentioned, as renters we're a bit restricted on drilling into walls. Hopefully when we buy a place in the coming year or two I can turn to a solution like these.

yes they have to be tethered at the top, and (IME) at the bottom.

advertisement

Back