advertisement

"Clever" CD storage?

gustav_errata

pfm Member
I don't have a good idea of what I'm after so this is all a bit vague. Please interpret the question however you want.

Over the past year or so I started collecting CDs again and just got a CD player. However all my discs have just been piling up upstairs on a bookshelf. I now want some practical storage to put near the hifi so I can better select what to listen to.

Space is very tight, so it would have to be compact. For some reason, when browsing for furniture, nothing has really appealed. I guess the best solution is just a basic shelving unit, but I just wasn't really liking anything. The Quadraspire CD Qube might be nice, I guess, given the modularity.

Has anyone found any "clever", space-efficient storage solutions that still enable pleasurable browsing of the collection? Maybe something unconventional or repurposed? We're renters, btw, so it can't be anything that has to be affixed to the wall.

It might be worth going to a local car boot sale. CDs and storage racks are always there when I go, and nobody seems much interested in them.

Years ago, all the CD storage "things" I saw looked horrible. But I had some shelves, old wood office furniture,maybe 1940s, where I had kept my LPs. So about 35cm deep and about 35 cm high. I put in another horizontal shelf, dividing the 35cm height in two. Then I made about 16 boxes, out of thin plywood, about 32cm deep and the width of a CD, top open. At the front end of each box I put one of those small metal frames with a label. So each box sits on the shelf, can be pulled out for browsing, and has a label at the front, e.g. "Brahms + Schumann", "Motown," etc. From outside you only see the front of each box with its label. CDs are hardly beautiful objects. Actually much less work than the description suggests.

I'd second Deebster. I have a tall shelving thing in black, which is open on both sides (like a ladder) and leans against the wall at a shallow angle. It's a mere 8 inches (20cm or so) wide and as deep as a CD jewel case. Takes up a very small amount of space. At the time I got it CDs were still 'in' so people were still designing interesting furniture for them.

I've seen similar ones in many charity shops. So it's worth looking.

Most cd racks seem pretty efficient to me, I prefer the all glass free standing ones from ‘Greenapple’ ( I think that’s the name). They are smart looking to my eye and you can some to pick them up quite cheaply on auction sites, though they are expensive at retail price.

CD wallets. Artwork one side, disc the other. Great scheme. Browse the collection from your lap.
I bought a stack of ‘gatefold’ ones off eBay. I loathe jewel cases and thought I’d dump the lot and put my collection into plastic slips- the space saving would be immense. When they come out of storage that’s what I’m planning.

I bought a stack of ‘gatefold’ ones off eBay. I loathe jewel cases and thought I’d dump the lot and put my collection into plastic slips- the space saving would be immense. When they come out of storage that’s what I’m planning.

I don't suppose you have a link you could share? I've bought these jobs in the past but they work out quite expensive now to import from the US.

I don't mind jewel cases as such - I just don't have the space!

I don't suppose you have a link you could share? I've bought these jobs in the past but they work out quite expensive now to import from the US.

Paul, it was this source but looks like he’s out of stock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13148025...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I’m sure there’s plenty more on eBay-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27409089...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I made one out of glass. 7ft high, 4 cds wide, the depth of a jewel case.. and lots of shelves…. you slide them in one side and out the other… you can see the artwork too!

I've been trying to sell a CD storage tower on fb marketplace, PM me if interested ;-)

835mm high, 300 deep and 175 wide

237201805_10159292118608820_944231340520514194_n.jpg

After decades of squinting at the spines of CD cases, both horizintally and vertically, I finally gave up and ripped them all onto a server..then shoved them in the loft. I don't have the time or the eyesight for 'Hunt The CD'.
A few priveleged Box Sets stay close to the system, and get played on my ancient Rotel CDP, which still sounds as good as any CDP I have ever heard..including the likes of the
NAIM CD1, Linn CD12 etc.
Vinyl is different...

I don't have a CDP any more so have been wanting to get rid of the jewel cases for ages, although I've yet to bite the bullet. I found these from 3L in my travels:

100 CD sleeves for CD storage with space for cover (t3lshop.co.uk)

You can buy direct, or from Amazon:

3L CD Sleeves For Storage with Space For Cover / Booklet - Clear Plastic CD Sleeve / Wallet / Pockets - 100 Pcs Pack - 10292 : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

I also found these from DiscoGuard:

CD and DVD sleeves - Various materials and sizes | DiscoGuard

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I loathe jewel cases, and have begun stripping down my cd’s into individual pvc covers. So much nicer to handle. Search for 3L CD sleeves on Amazon. 100 is about £17, but it reduces the size to 25% whilst retaining the cover and booklets etc.

I also bought 100 off eBay, but they were horrible, with spiky corners that poked me every time I went near them. The Amazon ones have a lovely soft feel.

Box sets, and CD’s with some residual value, or ones I might trade, are in an IKEA Gnedby.

Nothing beats properly sized wall shelves for storing CDs. I ripped all mine to hard disc in 2006, though.

I don't have a CDP any more so have been wanting to get rid of the jewel cases for ages, although I've yet to bite the bullet. I found these from 3L in my travels:

100 CD sleeves for CD storage with space for cover (t3lshop.co.uk)

Thanks. I'm actually halfway through a pack of these at the moment. The do the job but I don't find them as handy as the gatefold US Space Saving Sleeves which leave the spine slightly visible. Though I'm not sure it makes a lot of odd in practise - if I don't keep the wallet-ed CDs well organised I can never find anything anyway!

advertisement

Back