advertisement

Cleaning Records - coatings??

Spiderous

pfm Member
Hello,

I'm currently cleaning my way through my collection using a Knosti Disco Antistat to clean all my records. All was going going well until I got to the letter "G" and specifically a 200g Supex Quiet (or something similar) pressing of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" by Genesis.

It's actually a fairly recent purchase (new) and has only had a few plays, but I thought I'd give it the once over anyway to assist with the antistatic bit. However, when it dried I was left with what looks like patches of very white dust in certain parts of the record. This hasn't happened with any of the records I cleaned previously.

It seems to play ok, but I've not had time to either try brush cleaning to get rid of the dust or give it a full listen. Any ideas if it's due to some sort of coating on the record that I've removed? Do I stop using the solution on it?

I'm unsure what to do for the best, and don't want to ruin what was quite an expensive purchase.

Crickey I hope you don`t have too may records, that must be a massive task with a Disco Anti Static.

Not sure what the white deposit is though sorry

I've had a few records, notably Rhino label Ryan Adams pressings that do something similar.

on a first play they leave a white dust trail behind the needle. If i clean them with enzyme gold and then art du son, before i play the other side it doesn't happen.

advertisement

Back